Non pistol powder Blackout loads?

KennyG

Anyone have any loads not using pistol powders for the 300BLKOUT? Pistol powders are hard to come by but rifle powders are everywhere.

Iv seen the 4198 load but only shows one grain for the load, not sure if I can load 180grain noslers or not. I am looking for supersonic loads really.

are you planning on just loading target loads? or hunting?

a lot of us are seeing much better performance hunting with 110 - 125 gr projectiles. When you're running the heavies supersonic they run out of steam pretty quickly and usually fall below expansion velocity's to quickly. When you can stay in the lighter projectiles you can keep the velocity envelope quite easily and still get expansion performance

for example my 125 SST over lil gun load at 2053fps will stay above 1700 fps out to 150 yds. That projectile is supposed to expand down to around 1600 fps. The barnes TAC-TX 110's "blacktips" will expand as low as 1300 FPS. THe Vmax and Varmageddon's also seem to perform more like a controlled expansion bullet at blackout speeds as well and folks seem to be having great luck with both has legitimate whitetail projectiles.

as far as your powder selection goes, there's lot of good options - but a lot of how versatile you're going to be able to be will depend if youre loading for an AR or not. getting enough gas to cycle the action can be problematic with many powders. what choices do you have available to work with?

nosler lists its updated blackout data for their 7th online
http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/300-aac-blackout/

hornady's 9th probably has the largest officially published load data for the blackout available right now.

the Lyman AR reloading handbook also has some interesting info regarding H4198.

hth

would prefer a hunting load for reloading. Currently I can only come across 4064, and 4895 powders. Others seem to be scares

H110 is the way to go. Is there anything for LIL gun? That may sound strange but Blue Dot is a shotgun powder also and I have used it in 223 and 45 Colt. With good results too. Nobody I know of has had very good results with the pistol powders.

no iv been looking for H110, looks good from the reloading manual. Guess ill just have to drive a bit more and see if I can get some powder. To bad my .50bmg powder wont work, have tons of it but don't shoot it very often.

ive had some amazing results with LilGun. and i just scored my first pound of 1680. as soon as the weather breaks i'm off to the range to test with that as well.

lil gun cycles well, accuracy is good, achieving good velocity without pressure is easy, and the ES/SD numbers are fantastic. I'm running 125gr projectiles w/ moa accuracy at 2050 fps and have been able to find a common load for 3 different projectiles that all have very similar velocity's and point of impact. its nice to be able to grab 3 different bullets and have them all hit the same spot
smile.gif

i also use 4227 for heavier projectiles - subs cycled great with it. now that i have 1680 though my 4227 is gonna be used under m-80 pulls that i got super cheap a while back.

Have done some preliminary testing with H110 but since i've only got a small amount and its about as common as [beeep] on a bull moose i'm not pressed about it right now. one thing i can say about h110 - watch for pressure on the top side. It can go from normal/safe to 'holy crap thats a flat primer' pretty quickly - like a half grain jump quickly. lots of folks are using it with great results from what i've been able to read - if you can find it anyway.

for hunting stay with lighter projectiles - 110-125 grain stuff. 110 Vmax, 110 Varmageddon's, barnes 110 Tac-TX "blacktips", 125 SST's, 125 nosler BT (Green tip). and i've also had some respectable luck with resizing 123gr zmax .310's (ak bullets) down to .308 with a lee push through resizing die.

i've also heard of lots of people having good luck with using 125 TNT's as well but i havent tried them myself yet.

the hardest part about a hunting projectile is maintaining proper velocity for expansion at the ranges you're going to hunt, hence why the blackout shines in the 110-125 range. getting enough velocity to make a typical >150gr .308 hunting bullet expand at blackout speeds is why most folks use the heavier stuff for plinking, unless you're specifically buying top shelf low velocity expansion projectiles (at $1 and up each)

Back