20 cal coyote bullets, need real life experiences

From my limited testing today (first time out with the new upper) it looks like 35 gr bergers are going to shoot well. Didn't try the 40 gr bergers yet as conditions aren't good and I only have a few of them to try. Waiting for a better day, but I'm sure they will shoot well. I like the fewer exits with the 35's, but I like the bc of the 40's better. Running the numbers, 40's at 3700 fps totally kill the 35's at 3800 fps. By 100 yds it's all over, out at 300 you get 1" less drop and 4" less drift in a 10 mph wind.

I haven't chronographed anything yet, just pure speculation on that. Might squeeze 3900 out of the 35's, but it doesn't help much.

Check out the 45 gr sp. Its a tougher bullet and stabilize better than the 40 gr plastic tips. Killed a couple today with them. Bang flop. Hit the top of the shoulder on one and had an exit hole the size of a nickle.

I have shot a bunch with the 39gr sierra bullets with never losing a dog yett the 32gr bullets were junk.

Bought myself a Christmas present- a Sako in .204 Ruger. I went to the range and shot Hornady 32 gr. v max and 40 gr. v max. I will say the 32gr. made a much tighter group than the 40gr. I haven't yet tried it on any critters, but think that the 32gr. is what I'll use.

The superformance 40gr don't seem to group well out of my SD 204 Ruger upper they they kill coyotes dead. I shot one that was looking right at me at 53yds and it tore both lungs out. The exit hole was the size of a small football.

Update with my own real life experience today, a sample size of 1. The 40 gr bergers grouped the best and I got a chance to go out and test them this morning. Male coyote at approximately 120 yds, slightly quartering away. Held for the shoulder and it pounded him hard. No splash and no exit. He was so mangy I wasn't going to examine him very closely but the performance was impressive, drt with no hide damage. Sounded like a watermelon exploded when it hit.

Back