Mini 14 for coyotes - Doing it

FullMoonYoteSkin

So, I have a mini 14 that is now my coyote gun. Sold my tack driver savage axis last year. I want to know if anyone uses their mini for coyotes and if they have done any accuracy mods (This thing is brand new, can't hit $H!T) I WILL be using it. I already have an AR fyi, which is upwards of the $1500 mark with a sick trigger in 308 caliber. Shoots very sub MOA but it is my deer gun. Just had to put that out there so no one talked any Mini-AR Trash on this thread. Any help thanks

How bad is the accuracy out of the box? I've been considering one as we are not allowed to hunt with ar's here in Canada.

my partner uses a mini 14 target and although its a little heavy once the harmonizer is tuned right it is good for coyote accuracy out to 400.

Used one for years as my truck/ranch rifle. It was "pop can" accurate at 100yds with the factory sights. Never mounted a scope, as it spent it's life stuffed under the seat of my truck, when not lying in it. Killed many critters. It now resides stuffed in a cabinet on my boat. Good thing I ponied up for stainless model years back.

It is a new (2014) tactical. It is maybe 3-4" MOA with 1 type of ammo and worse than that with the rest. My gas block is not torqued correctly though, I will handle that and add an accu-strut this weekend and see how she goes. A trigger job will be done after the snow is gone and im done coyote hunting

That is horrible! I've owned two over the years. The first one was the least accurate. The one I have now is 1 1/2 @ 100.
They are fun and I will never be without one. Sometimes I use mine just for the nastalgia factor. It was my only coyote gun for a long time.

Try shooting 10 in a row.. and see if the pencil barrel will even allow it to hit the target. My Mini "scoped" was great for the first few shots, but barrel heat changed everything. Good luck with your new Coyote hunter.

I have one made after the re-tooling at Ruger. It hits a 6" tall prairie dog target at 200 yds consistently. I shoot hornady Vmax 55 grain while hunting. It took a little while to break in and start shooting decently. I have more accurate rifles but none as fun to shoot as the Mini 14, other than the Mini 30 I recently picked up. I just started shooting it. Both run the Tulammo steel case stuff just fine. And that makes them really cheap to shoot. I don't care what others think, the Minis are good solid rifles.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Try shooting 10 in a row.. and see if the pencil barrel will even allow it to hit the target. My Mini "scoped" was great for the first few shots, but barrel heat changed everything. Good luck with your new Coyote hunter.

It's been a long time since I saw the need to waste ammo. If I haven't hit what I'm aiming at in the first two shots, the next eight aren't going to make a difference!
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterI have one made after the re-tooling at Ruger. It hits a 6" tall prairie dog target at 200 yds consistently. I shoot hornady Vmax 55 grain while hunting. It took a little while to break in and start shooting decently. I have more accurate rifles but none as fun to shoot as the Mini 14, other than the Mini 30 I recently picked up. I just started shooting it. Both run the Tulammo steel case stuff just fine. And that makes them really cheap to shoot. I don't care what others think, the Minis are good solid rifles.

My experience is similar.

Been a couple of decades since I bought one. I never could get it to shoot well. Didn't think you should have to spend a few hundred to get a new rifle to shoot sub 3" groups.

Originally Posted By: barkOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Try shooting 10 in a row.. and see if the pencil barrel will even allow it to hit the target. My Mini "scoped" was great for the first few shots, but barrel heat changed everything. Good luck with your new Coyote hunter.

It's been a long time since I saw the need to waste ammo. If I haven't hit what I'm aiming at in the first two shots, the next eight aren't going to make a difference!
tongue_smilie.gif

Well, I used mine while shooting Ground squirrels and Coyotes. And in a target rich environment you will see the so=called 200 yard accuracy fall apart. That was what I was getting at.

Most of our group shoot the target version with the hogue stock. One took the harmonic doodad off the end. Shoots about the same groups (1") and cut some weight.I had a 180 series that I got so fed up with I traded it.

I have only known of 2 people with mini-14's, and they both shot like manure. I went the AR15 route, and have never looked back. (20" RRA Predator Pursuit)

My experience with the mini was also bad...I had a 580 series which is supposedly more accurate than previous models..that would average 6 inch 5-shot groups with my best loads at 100 yds. Like Rifleman, I'll stick with my AR's.

Matt

Im determined to get it to shoot good. If it takes a bull barrel down the road, then so be it. For now id like a muzzle brake for faster shot acusition. I love coyote hunting and love the minis design, just a little down about the pperformance, but with a little work and a can do attitude, this baby will be a model firearm!

Back