M855 ammo banned

It's not banned yet. Its a proposal. But if Obola has his way it'll be banned. Just another attack on our rights, enabled by the 1986 NFA, that Reagan signed. Goes to show you that no politician, or party, can be trusted to interpret, or decide your God given rights. This is why gun owners can't budge one inch on any more limitations. There will always be slick lawyers and idiots that will attempt to slide more bans under any new laws. They can't be trusted ever again. It's that simple

Your right, my mistake. I met to say "to be" banned like I did in some other forums.

Still he's going to try everything he can to do as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure Obama has no idea what M855/SS109 is. These decisions aren't made by him personally.

As for the decision, it's a poor interpretation of a bad law but not the end of the world. There are plenty of alternatives to M855 that shoot just as well and are just as cheap. This really won't effect the ability to go out and shoot your rifle for fun, in matches, or hunting, etc.

I'm sure he has no idea either. But it is very important. Because the law says the core can't be armor piercing. These are tipped. Secondly, it says that type of ammo is banned for handguns, and we shoot these out of rifles. The only thing this will do is make the price of this marginal ammo go way up. So my comments s go back to the extreme stretch of the law, like all gun laws are. It's more chipping away. It all adds up, and I take nothing for granted when it comes to the stupidity, and the way politicians change the meaning of words to get there way. And if Obola was pro gun, he would come out and say how foolish this proposal really is. This exposes how really foolish our gun laws really are. Banning guns don't save lives, and banning these won't save any either. It's more proof how insane the ATF and their interpretations really are. But make no mistake, after they outlaw stuff, they come get stuff. I bet you can't find but a handful of murders committed with this junk anyway. I mean there are very few committed with an ar15 in general. It all adds up

It is just another chip at the foundation of firearm ownership. They will not be happy until its is all gone. Contact your Representatives!!

If it undergoes proper review or a court challenge the ATF will lose. Their own definition states the core for AP ammo "is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron,
brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium". The M855 is a lead core with a steel tip, not a solid steel core.

It doesn't matter whether it is rifle or pistol ammo though. The law states "a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun". Keyword being may. M855 is a rifle round but it can be fired from an AR pistol. That is the same reason 7N6 5.45x39 was recently banned. It was fine as a rifle round with a steel core but was banned because it can also be fired in AK pistols.

I'm not saying any of this is right, just pointing out how it may be legally justified based on current laws.

Light up the phone lines:

Quote:BATFE is accepting comments until March 16, 2015 on this indefensible attempt to disrupt ammunition for the most popular rifle in America. Check back early next week for a more in-depth analysis of this “framework” and details on how you can submit comments.

How to comment – from the BATFE

ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or before March 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before March 16, 2015. ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments. Submit comments in any of three ways (but do not submit the same comments multiple times or by more than one method):

ATF email: APAComments@atf.gov

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Denise Brown, Enforcement Programs and Services, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226; telephone: (202) 648-7070.

Regards,
hm

Obama does not understand anything about any ammo except they go bang but you can bet your first born child he ordered BATF 6 years ago to everything they can and they are still working on it as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: crazysccrmdI'm pretty sure Obama has no idea what M855/SS109 is. These decisions aren't made by him personally.

As for the decision, it's a poor interpretation of a bad law but not the end of the world. There are plenty of alternatives to M855 that shoot just as well and are just as cheap. This really won't effect the ability to go out and shoot your rifle for fun, in matches, or hunting, etc.

Not really grasping the point, a ban is a ban and another thing on the list that they are chipping away at.

Originally Posted By: crazysccrmdI'm pretty sure Obama has no idea what M855/SS109 is. These decisions aren't made by him personally.

Could not disagree more! Have any idea the % of .223 rounds that are made up of m855? Do you really think that ar owners are shooting hunting rounds at the range?

My point is that it will definitely affect the price of .223 ammo and the general supply. Sounds like you can't wait to pay 22-250 prices for .223.

Like I said, if this ruling is properly challenged it will be overturned. I don't agree with the proposed ban at all but the sky isn't falling either.

I have shot a ton of 5.56 through my civilian rifles and none of it has been M855. If the ban stands manufacturers will switch to other bullet designs so 5.56 plinking ammo won't suddenly skyrocket to 22-250 prices.

Originally Posted By: yotekillerOriginally Posted By: crazysccrmdI'm pretty sure Obama has no idea what M855/SS109 is. These decisions aren't made by him personally.

Could not disagree more! Have any idea the % of .223 rounds that are made up of m855? Do you really think that ar owners are shooting hunting rounds at the range?

My point is that it will definitely affect the price of .223 ammo and the general supply. Sounds like you can't wait to pay 22-250 prices for .223.

XM855 isn't the cheapest nor the most prevalent target ammo. 1, penetrator ammo doesn't do well with mild steel targets. 2, XM855 isn't that accurate. XM855 typically hits the market due to overruns at Lake City/Federal or between military contracts. Its not "normal" commercial ammo that's always available and designed to be cheaper target ammo such as Federal AE223 and other commercial loads. Simply put, its military ammo that happens to be on the civilian market but isn't always available.

Its not surprising that XM855 may be on the chopping block with how many AR15 pistols are on the market. It sucks, but it is what it is. We'll see if it actually gets banned. Regardless, its not going to jump normal 223/5.56 up to 22-250 levels due to a small bit of 5.56 (XM855) no longer being available on the market. I'd bet money on it, actually.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: yotekillerOriginally Posted By: crazysccrmdI'm pretty sure Obama has no idea what M855/SS109 is. These decisions aren't made by him personally.

XM855 isn't the cheapest nor the most prevalent target ammo. 1, penetrator ammo doesn't do well with mild steel targets. 2, XM855 isn't that accurate. XM855 typically hits the market due to overruns at Lake City/Federal or between military contracts. Its not "normal" commercial ammo that's always available and designed to be cheaper target ammo such as Federal AE223 and other commercial loads. Simply put, its military ammo that happens to be on the civilian market but isn't always available.

Its not surprising that XM855 may be on the chopping block with how many AR15 pistols are on the market. It sucks, but it is what it is. We'll see if it actually gets banned. Regardless, its not going to jump normal 223/5.56 up to 22-250 levels due to a small bit of 5.56 (XM855) no longer being available on the market. I'd bet money on it, actually.

M855 isn't terribly inaccurate, especially for plinking/range fun. As far as price? I guess we can wait and see.

I hope people are paying attention to this instead of burying their heads in the sand! It's really hard to believe some would say that this doesn't concern the average gun owner. What is next?

that petition doesnt go to the BATFE, so you're wasting your time signing it. even if it gets the 100k sigs it needs, the white house has what? 30 days to respond after that 100k mark is reached.

that page is nothing more than a political tool for the white house. if they get a petition they agree on they can trumpet it from the heavens saying "look its what people want" or if they get a petition they dont like, they'll respond with something that sounds good but is essentially a big [beeep]. at least thats how they've handled it in the past.

and thats all thats required is a response. "sorry we dont agree" is a response, and while they wont use that few words, that will be what the gist of their response will be.

if you wanna do something constructive - send off an e-mail to the batfe, thats where your time needs to be sent. if you do i suggest being polite, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and all that. so writing an e-mail that sounds like its coming from a pouting 6 year old isnt going to get anywhere.

from the article on the nra link

Quote:How to comment – from the BATFE

ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or before March 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before March 16, 2015. ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments. Submit comments in any of three ways (but do not submit the same comments multiple times or by more than one method):

ATF email: APAComments@atf.gov

if i had to bet, in the coming days we'll see a form letter that you can put your e-mail, & personal info on and just click from the NRA or another organization of that type.

Back