Skunk scent question.

OKRattler

Skunk rut is in full swing seems like. I've seen close to 20 skunks this week. I caught one in a trap today. The day before I shot one at the same spot. My question is will the smell draw other skunks to the area? Also......will that have any affect on animals I actually want to catch or hurt my chances of catching anything else? After seeing so many skunks I'm kinda starting to wonder if that's all I'm going to catch. Those nasty things are everywhere. I can't stand them. I don't even like seeing the dang things let alone catching them in a trap.

I don't think I'm going to start collecting or using skunk essence. Its hard enough to get a date the way it is. Its probably good cover scent no doubt. Only problem is I'm around other people every day.

The scent will draw most canids, so I'd make some sets around the area you caught the skunk. FWIW, if you make some box sets, and use some 220 conis, where the traps are set back in the boxes a few inches, you'll catch a ton of stinkers w/o any smell!!! Put the bait, canned cat food, back in the box, set the conis at the entrance and spread the wires a bit. I catch tons of the stinkers each year as they try to decimate my bee yards. Once they're dead, I hit up the feed store for some large syringes, and then extract the musk from every one! Even if they're not prime, I can still sell the musk, typically for more than the pelt was worth!!!!!

In Oklahoma the conibear traps are illegal. I use live traps and my foothold traps are pretty old school .I use Montgomery Step-In 3's. I don't know much about using them as far as what lure is best or anything. I have some Caven's "Feline Fix" bobcat gland lure but no luck with it so far. I'm trying for bobcats right now but with the end of Furbearer season at the end of the month its a race between a bobcat and the skunks. I'm tryin to keep the skunks out and get the bobcats in but its not working out in my favor.

My question is does the bobcat gland lure and bobcat urine really make much difference for a bobcat set? Do I put lure only and no actual bait or both? From what I know about bobcats is they hunt using their eye sight and hearing but not so much their nose. So its hard to think that putting out lure for them to smell really helps but I really don't know. I don't have enough experience with using lure to base that theory off of.

For the longest time I never used any and did alright but caught alot of other things too. Mostly unwanted pests and the occasional raccoon. But if lure and bobcat urine increase my chance of catching a bobcat I'm all for it. I caught another skunk today. I'm so tired of those dang things. Hopefully that's the last one i'll catch.

I've had that trap set for a week with lure and everything and I know there's a cat in the area but still haven't caught him. I don't know whats going on. I figured I'd catch it right away. I always keep them set for awhile if I think a bobcat is around but sure didn't expect it to take even a week. How long should I actually be waiting before giving up and moving on to another spot? I figured maybe it just moved on to a different part of its territory and will be back but I'm not sure how long that will take or if that's really why I haven't caught it yet. That was just my best guess.

I see. I wondered about that. Do you put in fresh lure and bobcat urine every day or will the scent stay around for quite a while? I was gonna put some fresh lure in one of my live traps today but wasn't sure if I needed to.

Okay thanks a bunch. I got two big toms I need to catch before season is over. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully I can get it done. That one was in the area just a few days ago so I'm really hoping he still is. I've seen him once and he's a hoss. I know the size of a bobcat can be decieving until you put them on a scale but he's definitely a biggun.

Back