Coatimundi adapting to lower desert elevations

gamestalkertwo

Hello all, new here, but not at all new to the wonderful sport of hunting. I've also been a very long time participant and proponent of varmint hunting in addition to all other types of hunting.

So that said, I thought I would kick things off with an observation regarding coatimundi, a minimally observed animal, yet growing in numbers and locations.

As an avid hunter, I spend an enormous amount of time in the field glassing. As such, I've been seeing coatimundi in the high desert areas of units 36A, B, and C. But this last fall, and this winter as well, I have spotted two completely different groups of coatimundi, and they were down pretty low, below the Manzanita elevations.

Both were very large groups also, my Son, his wife, and I spent a good while taking a count, and there were at least 35+ coatimundi in one group located in 36A, while the other group in 36B contained more than 20. Both sightings occurred at elevations be low 5,000'. I also saw a large group in 34A last October while glassing, those were in the manzanita elevations, or above 5000'.

I've kept pace with their existence in Arizona since the mid 1980's, at which time they were sparsely populating the Chirichau's. But now it's apparent they are continuing to migrate throughout southern Arizona, and in rather large numbers too.

Originally Posted By: KizmoIs there a season on them?

There is in AZ. I believe it's year-round, but you can harvest only one per calendar year. I don't believe any were called or killed during the Convention and Hunt last week.

I've actually been up close and personal with them, they're oddly very sociable. I love hunting, but I'm not sure I would want to shoot one, they're just too darn cute. I can't believe I just said that and a hunting forum. But they are legal to hunt, one per calender year.

GS2

gamestalkertwo,

I grew up in Tucson. I recall seeing coatimundi in both unit 33 and 34A in the 1970's while hunting in my teens. I have seen them numerous times at lower mountain elevation in July & August (suspect they migrate to the food sources i.e prickly pear fruit, mesquite beans, saguaro fruit etc when it's available). Don't recall ever seeing any groups larger then 12 or 15. They range as far north as Flagstaff.

AP

I had one until he was old and gray. Called him Johnny Ringo and raised him on a bottle. CHICK MAGNET for sure.

Paid $600 for him at 14 days old in Lubbock, TX.

Originally Posted By: KizmoIs there a season on them?
The season dates are September 1, 2014 through March 31, 2015.

Bag limit is one per calendar year. Possessing a live Coatimundi is prohibited in AZ.

Season dates and units open to hunt them are found in Commission Order 14, Other Birds and Mammals; 2014-15 AZ Hunting Regs.

I have seen them in the City of Tucson in Unit 38M, but that unit is closed to hunting Coatimundi.

Last edited:

Quote:I see in texas they are often sold as pets 250-750

Under certain conditions:

SUBCHAPTER K
SALE OF NONGAME SPECIES
RULE §69.403 Permit Required
(a) Any person who possesses a coatimundi and distributes, sells, or offers for sale such coatimundi must possess a Protected Nongame Sales Permit.
(b) Any person may possess a captive-bred coatimundi in this state, provided that person also possesses proof that the coatimundi was acquired from a lawful source.
(c) No person may take or possess a coatimundi from the wild in this state, except as provided for elsewhere in this title.

I'm not from Arizona. But have been there lion hunting once and bear hunting once. And went on family vacation there last summer. I'm not sure what unit it is or at what elevation but had a group run across the road in front of us on the gravel road on the south side of apache lake last august

Had a pic at one trail cam spot in South Texas......
Sent it to the Texas Parks and Rec......they were all over me to get an exact location.
Are they protected? I would never pull the trigger on one if I had no idea what it was.
Being from Kentucky.....I had no clue .

The desert can be quite a place to see a number of animals. Many hunters who have not hunted AZ are surprised when I tell them of the trophy sized mule deer that we have recorded on the desert floor, javelin, jaguars, bears, elk, illegals, etc.. The list goes on and on.

Great observation, thanks for sharing.

They are cute little animals, however they are hard on turkey populations and the only animal that I have seem that will climb out of a tree to fight a pack of hounds. They loose but we always had to sew up dogs after the fight. I have seen them from about 4000 ft. elevation to up to about 9000 here in SW NM. They are neat animal to watch. Most of the groups I have seem have about 8-12 animals in them, but I have seen close to 40 in one bunch a few times. They go threw the country literally leaving nothing unturned. They mostly seem to eat grubs and insects but will raid turkey nests or whatever else they can find. Cool animals.

drscott

I'm not going to say it's impossible that they've migrated to Northern Az., but it's not very likely. They are very often confused with the ring tail cat, which looks very similar if you don't know the difference.

I lived in Flagstaff for about 7 years and only saw ring tails and some other sub species around the Grand Canyon area, never any coatimundi though. But they have been actively migrating north for decades, so it's entirely possible.

I didn't know they were hard on turkey populations, though that doesn't surprise me, being that they are a predator.

GS2

Back