Longrange scope choices?

Originally Posted By: BWBOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunSome don't understand, but higher power comes at a price, and I don't mean only monetarily.

Not trying to push any buttons, please don't take it that way. Just curious what you mean by this? If a person has 5.5-20 or 4-16 both have 16 power. What price does owning the 20x have other than potentially costing more $?

The way I see it is this. It takes more money to get suitable resolution at higher magnification. IE, A $70 Centerpoint is no where near the same quality, image wise, at 16X than a $550 Leupold VX-2 will at 16X. And that Leupold will not be as good as, say a Swarovski at the same 16X.

When price is a concern, it is more beneficial for one to go with a lower power (magnification wise) for a better image than they would a lower quality (resolution wise) but higher magnification scope.

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78Hensoldt 6-24x72 SAM, if your not satisfied with this...you wont be.

I could never be satisfied with a 72mm Obj.

Originally Posted By: Scott_PhillipsAnyone here use a Burris Eliminator 3, 4x16x50?

Scott

I have one. Makes shooting longer ranges simple. BUT for the money the glass is terrible. You're buying the technology not quality glass. The rangefinder works as good as my Leica.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI would have to agree with you, I have been wholly unimpressed. Even the Razors, which are very nice in their own right, dont wow me when compared to other scopes in that price range.

Well the guys who finished in the top 50 in the PRS shooting would disagree with you. Number 1 scope was Schmidt &Bender with 16 scopes, and the number 2 was Vortex razor gen 2 with 10. The bushnell elite xrs came in 3rd with 9 scopes used. There was also a gen. 1 razor in the top 50 not included in 10 vortex scopes. They can use whatever they want pretty much and it says something about the quality. And the vortex use has gone up in each of the 3 years. And the S&B has dropped. So vortex must be doing something right for the guys who play long range seriously. Nightforce had a total of 2 scopes in the ranking. These prs shoots are typically 300-1000 yards. So good glass and consistent turrets are key. In 2014 the razor gen. 2 had 6 in the top 20 being used, the same number as the S&B.....if I was buying a new scope right now I think I would try the bushnell ET 4.5x30 scope, (model ET4305) for around the $800 price. It's probably the best deal going for tactical long range shooting. Or in the $1200 price it would be the bushnell 3.5x21x50 (ET35215G) with the g2mdr reticle. I wish I knew if the glass was the same on these, and just the gap reticle is what makes it cost more.

The PRS, like any competition series, is not a real indicator of who makes the best gear, its an indicator of who has the sponsorship program.

Having been behind both Bushnells you mentioned, I don't regret buying my Burris.

I've really been looking at a Burris G2B 4x20x50 (model 201040) for $875,or the 5x25x50 (201050)can get a new one for $955. What's your thoughts on that scope? And is that the model you are talking about? I've been hearing more about the Burris lately, seems to really offer a lot for the money. Is the xtr line gone now or what?

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyI've really been looking at a Burris G2B 4x20x50 (model 201040) for $875,or the 5x25x50 (201050)can get a new one for $955. What's your thoughts on that scope? And is that the model you are talking about? I've been hearing more about the Burris lately, seems to really offer a lot for the money. Is the xtr line gone now or what?

The original XTR has been replaced with their new XTR II.

Originally Posted By: Scott_PhillipsNightcaller tell me about your Leica?

For the money, which long range scope is best?

Scott

That really depends on the price range you are considering.

Originally Posted By: Scott_PhillipsNightcaller tell me about your Leica?

For the money, which long range scope is best?

Scott

You may want to include if you want a specific reticle and prefer using that instead of cranking turrets for every shot. And then the price range within a few hundred of your budget. And what scopes are you familiar with now? Most long range shooters demand that the turrets be repeatable every time as they are willing to give a little on the glass.

The Leica is a geovid binocular. To say which is "best" is hard for me to answer for you. I'll tell you what I use for different applications and why:

Under 400 yds for prairie dogs I like the eliminator on a 223 because of the ease of use. This scope does have limitations. Optics are not very good relative to other scopes in the price range. I contemplated going to this scope for everything but it isn't what I want for long range big game where low light situations are common.

Zeiss conquest 6-20 for almost every application. This scope has worked in every situation that I've used it. Again it has its limits: Internal adjustment and sub par turrets. Glass is the best I've seen for this price range. I started shooting the long range game with Leupold vx-3 and compared the glass side by side and the conquest was significantly better for what I want. Easy to get behind and I think the best value scope I've used for getting into the game.

Nightforce is the best all around tool. Good optics, excellent turrets great reticles and can also be used as a hammer if the need arises.

IOR is one that I'm personally enamored with. I like the elevation turret for no particular reason (25moa/revolution) I like the mp-8 reticle and in my opinion the glass is better than Nightforce. It seems to see through Mirage better than anything else I've used. With the 35mm tube it's heavy and should have more elevation adjustment than it does (52moa)

Swarovski I've had a couple and had no love for them. I'm in the minority here, most people love theirs. But for that kind of money it didn't appeal at all to me.

to put it simply...there is no such thing as "Best"

EVERY OPTIC has pros and cons that make one of it's features better, worse, or different than another optic.

If you don't have a specific list of features that are "must have" and a specific set of features that are "absolutely not", then there is nothing we could ever suggest that would be a responsible suggestion for you.

Originally Posted By: nightcaller

Nightforce is the best all around tool. Good optics, excellent turrets great reticles and can also be used as a hammer if the need arises.

HAHA I just laughed on that one.

But its very true. Good Glass, but not the best. Functions FLAWLESS. Awesome reticles, lots of adjustment. You can find used deals on NXS 5.5-22 all day long on the HIDE between 1300-1500.

Another one id seriously look into is the bushnell G2's...you can get the 6.5-24 G2 for around $800, and the 3.5-21DMRG2 for around $900. Both are amazing scopes. Great glass and reticle. Function is awesome, first focal plane. Hard to beat all the options for the money.

Back