w.va. hunters

Hey Old Cat, I hunt in Monongalia and Preston County and I see a good bit of sign. I hunt public and private land and I see a lot of tracks in the snow but I just haven't gotten one to the gun yet. I have a cousin that is a really good trapper and I'm gonna take that up some too. I have a foxpro crossfire, and a lot of land to hunt if ya wanna do some calling sometime. This is my first year of calling but I'm having fun anyhow.

I'm here and I see coyotes occasionally but see tracks everyday in the snow when feeding my cattle. I'm in Monongalia Co.
Going to try to make a couple stands tuesday evening/night.

I have 5 wells at mt. morris, & when I was there wed. coyotes had been all over those locations. Friday in Doddridge co. i went through the middle of 4 pieces property consisting of 2800 acres & found 4 sets of tracks. not many here, what's left are very wary. I have not seen a coyote, (except the ones I have called) in two years. you can't call these into the open, you must be in woods, and even then they won't come close enough to see them. i have killed coyotes after 3 hours on stand. does not seem to be many of us west virgians on this site. coyotes are the tuffest game in town, it even beats muskie fishing.

I've called them into the open but its always back away from any public roads. Anywhere near a public road no luck whatsoever.

Big problem around here is people driving around calling from the vehicle just to try to get them to howl and all that's doing is educating them. The land is all posted and they don't let many hunt so the people drive the area calling not caring they are educating the coyotes cause they aren't allowed to hunt the areas. It wasn't too bad till everyone and his brother got into the game. Oh well its what it is.

I'm going to try to call from the barn in the back field. Have my BIL ride me up on the 4wheeler and drop me off. They are used to the 4wheeler coming and going. Figure wait a half hour to hour and call and see what gives.

I live just over the border in craig co. Va and the mtn that is just short of the border is my back yard i just recently got into huntin ol wiley to but im covered over here it seems just havnt got one to the call yet

Missed a coyote in one of my hay sets last night. Tracks and pee at the set but he must have just missed the trap. The neighbor called today and said he missed one in his yard 2 days ago. He said it was a prime black one with a little brown on its ribcage. I would really like to get a black one. I think if the snow doesn't freeze up and turn into ice I might take the call out a little this week and see what happens.

I've have good luck lately but I've been going to McDowell county. Not much luck in Monroe county. Did manage to call in a black one in summers county. I think if you get within earshot of one they'll come but you don't know if ones around til they come running in. Probably left alot of stands too early.

I'm in mon county and I've found a good bit of sign but they are very wary. I've killed some fox this year but I have almost completely switched from electronic to mouth calls and I feel like this has definitely helped with the call shy dogs

Back