204 Ruger Reloaders

Silver Belly62

I've never reloaded before and I'm looking at getting into it for the first time. What press/reloader would you veterans recommend, I know there are several out there but are they all pretty much equal or are some better then others. I predator hunt with a 204 Ruger and also a 243 Win, thought I would start out with the 204 first then later after I get things going and iron out the learning curve of reloading I would then try the 243 win. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Good advice on the rock chucker. Look for a used one even. They have a lot of life in them. For the 204 you will also need a smaller powder funnel. Dies, either rcbs or hornady are fine. Neck sizer die would be good too. Hand priming is easier than press priming so get a hand prime tool. Mine is a lee and it works fine. Get some reloading books. Do not believe every pet load on the internet! Verify it with other load data! Remember an error in the powder name or numbers could cause serious damage.

Having reloaded the .204 for several years, and assuming that you are planning for some long distance shooting with the round, precision in brass prep is a must for accuracy...While I use a Forster Co-Ax press, the Rock Chucker will do you well, but I would push for utilizing the Forster dies for consistency in concentricity of your finished rounds..I have experienced almost zero problems with runout in my finished loads..Any problems I experienced early on were my fault, rather than the dies..

If you are only planning on shooting 200 yards, or less, then almost any die will provide you adequate service..

Originally Posted By: 1up5downGet a RCBS Rockchucker.Also get some reloading books or if you know someone,have them help you out.

+1

I bought my Rockchucker new in 1973 and been using it and only it ever since. Dont look like new but works like new. One press that you could buy and pass down to kids or grandkids.

Yes to the above, a 'turret press' at the most. Just read up, go slow, start at the lower charges and go forward.

I started with several of the Lee 'load all' kits, that required a mallet. They are a bit crude by today's standards, but I learned a lot. My loads actually fired too.
thumbup1.gif

I too started with the 204, when I first learned how to reload. I like many others have mentioned have the rockchucker press and use fosters dies. I really like 8208 and cfe223 powder for the 204. Take a look at the Hodg. Reloading data center, its a good place for a boat load of load information. Read lots about reloading and have fun!

Mr. O

I am a newbie here that loads the 204 also and i have found bullet seating depth to be a big factor in accuracy. I use rcbs rock chucker and dies. I like 8208 but found it impossible to find lately. Also i neck size only.

i've been playing with the 32 vmax over varget, but my most consistent load is looking to be somewhere right around 28gr of varget. Velocity is only 3800, but with a SD of 3.6 and an ES of 7 its got a lot of potential. I do need to reshoot that one because i blew the [beeep] out of the group(ok so it was like 1.25"), but with 27.5 shooting a .385 with a SD of 17 @3720 i feel justified of giving it another go

iF1LEBg.png

i'm loading my precision rifle loads on a lee single stage press with hornady dies & throwing power with my chargemaster.

this is the same gun with factory ammo (4078 fps)
zVfV6k8.png

take your time, work up from the bottom and use good data and you'll be supprised what some patience will get you.

Last edited:
You can go "cheap" with a press, even this:
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding
or with the kit. After all, you just
need something to push straight up and pull straight out. I use
this one for portability....don't always like being tied down
to the press bench. My rifles can't tell a bit of difference,
either. Rounds come out with no more run-out than my bench
presses.

HOWEVER......

One should not go on the cheap with the dies. Save yourself
some money in the long run. I've had Lee, Hornady, and RCBS.
The absolute best for accuracy and least amount of runout has
been the Forster dies. (I should have a photo of one of my
Forster dies mounted in the Lee hand press, just for kicks!)
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
I use a lee classic cast and redding standard dies to reload for 204r.

i use h335 powder as thats what i started with has worked fine for me.
i do also reload for 243 same press but lee dies.

i also use midsouths 34gr varmint nightmare bullets brutal on groundhogs.

Last edited:
+1 on the Rockchucker. Since you said your new keep in mind the small cartridges build pressure faster when upping the charge. 1 grain of powder in the 204 will do a lot more than 1 grain in a 30-06.

Originally Posted By: PharmerJonOriginally Posted By: Shane64Plant.One
What program are you using to measure your groups?

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/

That's what it looks like to me...

yup that'd be the one. pretty handy tool for load developement.

all you need is a reference size on your target (i usually use the bullseye or the square on those load developement targets), take a nice flat picture (no angle) and then start adding the circles.

once you get the swing of it, it takes just a few mins to measure a group and generate one of those images you see that i've posted

I have two different presses, but I use the Lee hand press more than anything... and it's especially helpful when loading at the range. Thinking about buying another one.

I will make a suggestion to you, and I'm only trying to be helpful. I have reloaded for the 204 and found that the smaller calibers are harder for me than larger ones, and that's for a variety of reasons. If I were you, I'd start out reloading for your 243 first. The 243 is a very easy caliber to reload for, and you can gain a lot of experience that way. If you decide to go with the 204 first, I had good luck with H335 powder and a 35 grain Berger bullet.

Back