Coyotes in deep snow

IowaYoteMan

Have any of you guys been seeing or calling good numbers of coyotes with this deep, fluffy snow. Where I live we have about 10-12" of this stuff, and it is fluffy. Coyotes are having a hard time getting around, and hunting. I talked to a couple of guys that told me that the coyotes have been eating carcasses, and scavaging more than hunting lately. Any tips for hunting in these conditions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

IowaYoteMan

ya they can and will move around in the snow. You have to start out with a locator call first, and then if they howl back set up fast! Or try to howl once or twice, then go with a rabbit call or somthing like that. But i know they do move in the deepest of snows, and when its hard for them to get food in the snow any chance they get at one that is dieing like a call they will come. They want to eat. I find in the deep snow the best time to go out is in the night frome like 2am to 630 am is the best and some times after that like till 8ish or so. but its always good after a nice snow fall, well good luck in your hunts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Coyotes are real opportunists--they will usually travel on the route that takes the least energy. Watch for snowmobile tracks, well used game trails, places where the snow is hard packed by wind, etc. They do travel in the snow but like to take the easy road to get places. Both howling and prey sounds should be good this time of year, but the howling may work the best if they have been called and educated by someone with distress sounds this year.

Coyotes are scavenging right now and are not moving the best that will change as soon as the snow crusts.already happening here

IYM-
Man, you guys up north are having it easy with snow for a change. Here in Ames the snow is knee high and I am 6'4"
Back home in south east iowa we have quite a bit as well.
As for the coyotes- we are finding they are slower coming to the call. Sometimes up to an hour or more if they are off aways.
Also interesting is last tuesday we couldn't get anything to respond to howls and had success with distress sounds.
Saturday we couldn't get squat down with ditress but had luck with howls.
Go figure.
My best advise is to keep trying, vary things up, and take advangetage of these moonlit nights.
BTW, did you hunt Sat night? I know the temp was -7, don't know the wind chill but it sure was cold.
Good luck,
Matt

We had heavy snows last week and i thought that it probably would be harder calling. we had 16" on the ground with 40mph winds.drifts real deep. but my partner and i called in four sunday. Which is normal or alittle better. Two came in after I took thumper out of my mouth the first series.

Hunted in Aroostook County Maine yesterday. Found fresh yote tracks on the high ground where the wind and swept the snow off almost to the dirt. Also found along hedge rows or diversion ditch's along the high spots where the wind blows off the snow. I missed one yesterday....busted me while I was setting up the caller...

Another tactic you might try is to find if here are any timber operations in the area...the equipment will have lot's of trails through the woods that let the deer and coyotes travel with relative ease.

Might try setting up along deer trail's and using deer distress calls.As the snow deepens deer tend to use fewer well packed trails to get around.

after big snows they will wait more than several days for the snow to firm up, one time after 18" I didn't see a track crossing a road for 8 days, wind from 3-4 directions firmed the snow enough to travel easier

Back