ATN or Armasight Gen 2 clip ons

I have the Armasight clip-on mini gen 3. I had a bunch of questions and just called Armasight with some tech questions. They had great answers and explained the differences in detail. They didn't try to upsell me to anything. Just tell him your budget, your hunting conditions, etc and he can help you narrow it down. I don't remember the name in the tech dept though, but I think it started with a T. Very nice guy to talk to.

Is your the standard gen 3? can you give an overview of quality of build and clarity? I was going to order a gen 2 HD or HD QS some online stores had a good return policy if not satisfied, I just bought a PVS 14 for scanning but its going to cost quite a bit more just to set it up for shooting so still entertaining the idea of the cheaper clip on for shooting

Mine is the gen3+ alpha w/ manual gain and not white phosphor. When I called he recommended to go with the standard green and not white phosphor for hunting coyote in brush and fields. The included IR is junk. I run mine with a Torch Pro and I'm very happy with it. Even my partner who is a "mil-spec or go home" kind of guy was impressed with it. I have only hunted a few times with it so far. One stand we had a bobcat come in about 60 yards in broken brush and broomstraw grass. He shoots with thermal so he was about ready to squeeze when I called him off the shot after ID'ing the cat instead of a dog. I could clearly see the head, eyes, ears and was a no-brainer on what it was. Another set we had a pair of coyotes hang up on a field edge about 100 yards out. I could watch them walk around and cross back and forth across a ditch but they stayed back in the brush...we were waiting for both to come in the open. I could easily see both eyes reflect very clearly through the brush on one and feel confident I could have threaded one right into his dome if I had tried. Another set I had a coyote hard charge, picked him up about 100 yards out in thermal and he was very easily seen quickly through the NV without the IR and about 3/4 moon. I watched him come in to 50 yards and circle the call before trotting off and stopping. I shot him at 70 yards and then follow up shots past 150 were easy, I could see the dust he was kicking up. I use the mounting adapters that connect directly to the day scope objective lens and it seems very solid..much more than when I had a PVS14 on the back of the scope. I checked POI and it is exactly the same as well.

Last edited:
NoName1,

I am a NV wannabe and have a Q. If your clip on is Gen 3, why do you need any additional source of IR light?

If you need one, how often and in what conditions do you need it?

Thanks,

JPK

JPK...there are other people A LOT more knowledgeable than I am that can probably answer that better. Even with gen3 the extra IR can give you a brighter image. I don't need it at all in an open field with good starlight or some moonlight, but it does help on the real dark nights. What I use it for specifically is to get eyeshine. On the one stand I spoke about where I could see the 2 coyotes moving in the brushline...I could have shot "at the coyote". But with the IR I got eyeshine and could have made (attempted) a pinpoint head shot.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that under a leafy canopy the extra IR light source would be required.

I wonder what our soldiers do, it would be unwise to use any additional source, even an old obsolete unit or an inexpensive digital IR camera or scope could see it...

JPK

Back