Vortex pst ffp vs night force

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: pahntr760I think it is incredibly silly to compare a $200 to a $1200 optic. Shoot, even $600 and $1200 is a senseless comparison.

I agree completely...the point was in agreement that (something like a) PST is on the upper end of the low scale. But people still want to insist that a Centerpoint belongs in the same conversation as a PST.
Both are low end...it just so happens that the PST as at the upper end of the low side, and Centerpoint hangs around the low end of the low side.

With each Tier...you will get less and less improvement from the bottom to the top.

Tier 3 - extreme difference from bottom to top
Tier 2 - moderate difference from bottom to top
Tier 1 - minimal difference from bottom to top
Tier X - debatable difference from bottom to top

I can get down with that.

Basically there are the 4 tiers...but several sub-sections to each tier. Makes a bit more sense now...

And don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that each tier doesn't have it's place...or that anyone should feel a specific way about buying items from a specific price point. It's just that there are items that people put value on, and others can't justify.

I've said this before. The majority (actually all of them right now) of my optics serve at least double duty. Predator/Big game. Big game/LR. LR/Match. yada yada yada. For that reason, I like to stay in the Tier 2 range. I'm not good enough of a shooter to need things in the T1...and I don't have the $ even if I was that good...but I have found amazing deals on what I currently own.

If I were to buy a specific predator optic, and not use it for ANYTHING else. I would have no problem buying a Tier 3 piece of equipment, and the XTR II, if proven to be reliable...is in the conversation of things I would/will consider.

Okay I guess I should have been more specific im a weekend hunter and shooter. I love to shoot distance but rarely get the chance to. I realize that's the scopes I asked about are in total different price ranges I said that in my first post not really trying to compare them I'm sure nightforce makes a much better product but was more asking if it is worth going to them for a 223 hunting and bench ar

If you believe there is a 2000 dollar difference than I would buy every pst I could get my hands on because rings and bases would cost more than the scope.

Buying used is also no problem I'm defiantly not above that. I tried to buy one used off here last week but it sold on another site first if any one has an nxs for a good price I would be very interested. Especially at a 900- 1400 dollar price range.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I think it is incredibly silly to compare a $200 to a $1200 optic. Shoot, even $600 and $1200 is a senseless comparison.

i think it is kind of silly to assume that a high priced scope is better than a lower priced scope. personally, im not going to spend 2k+ on a scope when a $500 scope does exactly what i want it to do.

Originally Posted By: sweatybetty

i think it is kind of silly to assume that a high priced scope is better than a lower priced scope. personally, im not going to spend 2k+ on a scope when a $500 scope does exactly what i want it to do.

Its silly not to assume so. The fact that an optic does what YOU need it to do has absolutely no bearing on its quality, and that of others. Your personal limits are completely irrelevant in a discussion of scope quality. Optics are one market where more money does generally buy more quality.

Each one of us has a stop loss point in scope selection, but that does make higher priced, higher quality scopes less so.

Last edited:
For what it is worth heard a salesman say "once you spend 600 on a scope there isn't really much to gain in spending more." I thought about that and decided he should have said"until you spend over 600 on a scope you don"t gain much." In the very competitive market of optics with many manufacturers price is probably a better indicator of quality thani in most other products. I have nf ,s&b, swaro zeiss, leupold,burris vortex,tasco, simmons,weaver , nikon,bushmell,b&l, and probably a few others and they all can get the job done. The more pricey ones are more dependable and repeatable in which i have far more confidencd when igo hunting.

FWIW, there is just no doubt that top of the line scopes really, really are better. However, it takes a pretty unusual situation where a particular feature or set of features you need for a particular scope for a particular purpose can't be well met by a middle of the road "Tier 3" scope.

[I would add two tiers and the low end would be Tier 5, a fair scope like a Leupold VX 2 would be Tier 4 - and the price range needs to be tightened, imo.]

Night time and no light/no NV hunting is one of those rare situations.

I own a couple former "Tier X" scopes that would be "Tier 1" today. I own some high end Tier 3 or maybe Tier 2 scopes, but my son and I kill a lot of game with middle of the road or even lower end scopes.

All of my Tier X/Tier 1 scopes were bought for unusual situations. Leopard hunting without the use of a light for example, while still maintaining very close range capability on dangerous game.

I don't think there is a better scope on this planet than a Schmidt & Bender, they are my favorite, but even if $'s were never an issue I would have a hard time justifying one on a deer rifle where legal shooting time is 1/2hr before sunrise to 1/2hr after sunset.

FWIW,

JPK

Back