Ruger 77/17 17 Hornet?

6mm06

Just curious if anyone has the laminated Ruger 77/17 in .17 Hornet. If so, what kind of accuracy are you getting and what loads are you using?

I noticed the rifle in gunbroker and am just curious about it.

do a search for Huntsman22 on this forum or on a search engine. It is the killingest Hornet on the internet. I own the same rifle in the big-bore Hornet (22). He was banned a few years back.

I love mine. I get .4 5 shot groups at 100 yards regularly if I do my part.I did do some trigger work to it before i fired the first round. AA1680 20 grain Vmax. 1 in 9 twist. Remington 7&1/2 primers. .020 from the lands. I did kill a coyote at 387 steps last winter with it, not a shot I would recommend but there were three of them, and there were fresh calves on the ground. Dropped like I hit him with my 25-06. Dose a good job on prairie dogs also. No magazine problems with the bullets OAL, could still go out probably another .005 if I wanted.

Last edited:
I will add i reload using Redding dies. Factory ammo is ok, but some seen hotter than others. I have had slight effort to lift the bolt with factory Hornady ammo. Get fair groups with factory's but flyers are more common.

I too am curious about the Ruger 17 hornet, just one of those rifles I can't get out of my head lately. I'm hoping more people chime in, I myself need some convincing.

I have a Savage Model 25 and so far its a cool little rifle. Just started hand loading for it. I like the looks of the Ruger but a bit pricey for me right now. The Savage fit the budget better.

I've got one (Ruger). At this point it has seen nothing but factory Superformance 20gr V-Max's. It's completely un-altered except for a RifleBasix trigger. Typically I see 3/4"MOA for three shots at 100yds.

So far I have taken crows, jackrabbits, and coyotes with the rifle. Small varmints are in trouble to 300 but coyotes are asking for trouble past 200, IMO......It's a good round and a good rifle but it is not a magic wand!

PLOTBOSS

Thanks guys. ICU22-250, I too can't seem to get that one out of my head. It's not that I need it, but it has just caught my fancy. That's what led me to inquire about accuracy.

I have the Ruger BMVZ .22 magnum with the brown laminated stock. I really like it as well as the rotary magazine. In appearance, the Hornet is the same design, maybe even on the same platform.

The Ruger 77 are well built guns . I too have been thinking about one then I think about I never shoot my 17 REM but its not a Hornet may I need to try one. glad to find out they shoot good .
thumbup1.gif
Swiper

I like the 700-800 rounds that can be loaded out of a pound of powder. That's awesome, the same reason I love my 221 fur ball. 22 hornet brass isn't going anywhere, so brass should always be obtainable. I guess you can actually make it out of 22 hornet brass. Its just a neat cartridge that I just keep circling back to.

I have a CZ 527 in .17 Remington, and while I can load it down to Hornet velocities, I just like the idea of having the Ruger in such a neat caliber. It should make a great fox outfit.

They are now doing the same rifle in the wsm. I just like the caliber and its reloadable. The thing about the wsm, who knows how long its gonna survive. I would hate to have a rifle I could no longer get ammo for. That's why I'm liking the hornet. There's a descent review of the ruger on you tube by gun blast..

I have the 17 hornet in a CZ 527, it is a really usable cartridge. I have made brass out of 22 hornet and it is not difficult, might not stand as much pressure as the regular 17 hornet brass but is very usable. I own or have owned the 17 Remington, 17 fireball, and now the 17 hornet, the hornet will be the last to leave.

I suppose noise level for one , no recoil, you can watch your hits and misses, it seems to perform quite a bit better than you expect it to. It is just a really neat cartridge. By the way all I have shot in it were 20 grain bullets and see no reason to change.

There was one at the local gun show today that I almost bought. The price he gave me was cheaper then anywhere I have seen so far. I wish they had different stock options. I have the big brother to it and think it would be neat to have same stocks so I may wait and see it they come out with others later

Originally Posted By: phuntThere was one at the local gun show today that I almost bought. The price he gave me was cheaper then anywhere I have seen so far. I wish they had different stock options. I have the big brother to it and think it would be neat to have same stocks so I may wait and see it they come out with others later

what was the price he gave you?

Had the ruger 17 hornet.. Would not shoot under 2 inches at 100...
Sent it back to ruger and they found nothing wrong with specs...
Told me it was the ammo... Tried different lot number ammo and still the same..
New trigger and after frustration and almost 1k in rifle... Sold it for way less than worth... Bought a CZ and it is a tack driver... Bought one in both American and varmint..

Only problem with cz I had was with the magazine... I had the rim of the top case get behind the rim of the case below it... You then have to slide an object between the top and lower shell to separate them by pressing down the case on bottom... Happened on both the CZs... Just have to watch when load the magazine..

Back