Great week in Massachusetts Wow.....

magurohunter

Wow. Wow is all I can say. After a lonely January, I had such a great few days this week with two sets of doubles and a third half double....my pal shot one before I arrived and I called in another from the same piece! Half double??? Got another one anyway..Wow. Had them going all week with several barkers and dogs hung up at 100 yards threat barking/howling with no clean shots (had them for more than 10 minutes which is a long time on the coyote clock in my neck of the woods). The last pair of kills came from a group of 5 chowing on a calf. The fresh snow on the farm road allowed me to quietly gain access to the back field on the river and I survived the icy walk without making too much noise though I almost fell over several times..no kidding, Hockey rink stuff but with hills... you know the deal if you are from the north. Finally made it to the edge of the hedgerow and the ducks grazing on the food pile went crazy and all flew off...I thought..what am I missing...sure enough there is a dog walking towards me..I froze and waited, it did not look at me and just kept up to whatever it was doing and I was able to get seated next to the only tree in 100 yards. Watching him I soon realized it was not just one, it was 5! They were finishing off the second calf of the week he was so into the task at hand, he never gave me a second glance. No good shot for several minutes and I watched all 5 intermingling..pushing each other around and working the kill. Finally, he stepped into an open pocket and gave me a broadside..I got lucky and made a 220 yard kill shot (vortex rangefinder) on the first one. It took a few minutes to find it even in the snow as it did not leak much all, I hit just behind the last rib quartering to the front and the round (hornady 55 grain vmax 223) did not exit. No hair or blood and the little bit of blood that I found was from the calf...anyway, I walked towards the directing I saw him running and sure enough he was there and I cannot tell you the relief. The other four wend on a mad scramble.. two headed north west and two headed southwest across the frozen pasture toward a cliff on the edge of the river. I howled/barked to get them to stop and the closest one did!! 250 yards...I fired and tipped it over. No problem on recovery!!! I took three shots at the third dog howling/barking between each shot trying to get it to stop, but I missed every time. It fell off the cliff down to the river, surviving the 25 foot plunge which we would all still be in the hospital recovering from!. No blood, no hair, just a 20 yard urine trail in the snow. Unreal for sure.

Great week. Learned a bunch again. Dan Thompson hand calls are great. WT MA21 call works great. [beeep] diaphram calls are helpful and hands free. Dumb stupid luck works
really well!!!!

Anyway, great week. 6 dogs! Wow!
Feb8weeklylineup_zpsc551b0ea.jpg

TruckloadFeb8_zpsd4297fcd.jpg

Feb8Double_zps775e8686.jpg

You would love it Luru...cmon down and I'll take you there! All you need is a RI license... You just have to jump through all the hoops and you are good! It is like hunting out west, dogmania for sure. Killed 7 there last year too.

Hey Yote Slayer...I hunt eastern WA from Spokane too. Gosh, it is pretty country for sure. Spangle and all those cool little towns...simply awesome place. I hope to be out there in late April this year.

Nice job John, got your message, just been busy plowing.
crazy.gif

P.S. How come that never happens when I hunt with you?
tt2.gif

Last edited:
Back