AZ Lion Down!

huntinaz

Went out this afternoon for some predator calling. I've been taking my girls (6yrs and 4yrs) with me and they dig it. They have been my good luck charms and boy they didn't disappoint today. We walked an old logging road I'd been eyeing for years for 500-600 yards until we came to a good spot. I was targeting fox and bobcat and in AZ that's usually lion country as well. I had one girl on each side of me and a camo blanket over us. They sit reasonably still with their beanies and earmuffs on
smile.gif

At about the 12 minute mark, first stand, I was looking off to my left at the canyon side and my oldest daughter whispered "coyote, coyote." I look to where she pointed and saw an animal coming, I immediately got my youngest on the right to see it and she nodded. It was behind some trees trotting in, I got the scattergun up and waited. It appeared about 30-40 yards facing us and I thought "nice big tom bobcat" not remembering the animal I saw before had a tail. I shot and it stumbled then leaped in the air. I saw the tail then and thought "holy crap!"

It ran broadside thru some trees and I shot twice more. As it cleared the trees, 40-50 yards estimated, I had a good bead on it as it quartered away. The next two shots were visual hits, it arched and stumbled both times. As we watched, me out of shells, it hopped out of sight. I knew it was hit bad, it couldn't run and it stumbled and rolled twice before hobbling out of sight. Three visual hits. Since I was out of shells (moron) I got the girls back to the truck. I had one shot left in the truck but didn't want to leave the girls behind so I called some help. I went home, met my sister and her boyfriend, got more shells and he and I headed back out. A friend of mine had dogs but lives an hour away. He headed our way but due to unforeseen road closures he couldn't make it before dark. So we headed to the spot and found it dead about where I'd last seen it. I figured that was the case but didn't want to go in with my girls after a hurt lion.

Nice tom!:

We were sitting back in the trees maybe 80-100 yards behind where my dog is standing:

Wish it would have fallen in sight, would have loved for the girls to see it down.

Picks back at the house came out pretty crappy which is extremely unfortunate. Hopefully somebody got a good one, there were a few people taking pictures.

Weighed him at 118lbs. Couldn't have asked for an easier walk out but it was still a bear. I've been calling 6 years, mostly in cat country, very very excited to get this cat. I've been wanting one forever but was still super surprised when he came in. Anyway I'm pretty jacked, check him in to G&F tomorrow and then to the taxidermist!

Last edited:
Outstanding! The girls will remember that hunt for sure.
Assume you were using buckshot, what size?

Beautiful cat.

Regards,
hm

Yes AZheat, the wife was not ecstatic about a cat this big.

Was using #4 buck, and he was full of it.

Eugene, Yeah, this was unusual. I often carry a sidearm but more often I carry more shells for my 12 ga. If I have to shoot something, I'd rather do it with the shotgun. We ended up in a hurry to get out and I forgot to grab the handful of shells for my pocket. I just put some in my pack.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyNice cat. Another reminder why it's nice to always carry a sidearm when out hunting.

X2

Very nice cat.

THAT IS SO COOL. !! Congrats to you & your daughters ! Beautiful cat & to get a Tom . One of those are on my bucket list. Calling one in would be awesome ! Good luck topping that !

Extremely cool story! Congrats on a beautiful lion, and most importantly two great little hunting companions. You have a lot to be thankful for there, congrats again.

Yeah man, I just was not expecting a lion and when I have my kids I try to make sure they see it before I shoot it to keep them interested. Then I concentrate on killing the animal. When it cleared the tree was my first good look at it and I noticed it was a big cat but it was directly facing me so I just verified cat and then lined him up. Although I clearly saw a tail when I glimpsed it thru the trees, it didn't register until he flipped.

This all happened in a span of like twenty seconds and he was behind the timber for most of that time. He was running in just like a coyote, same speed as when they are just trotting.

Talk about hitting the lottery!!!

Congratulations!

Long after you are gone this day will live on in the memories of your girls and your grandchildren. I am sure the cat will grow bigger and the story broader.

Thanks for sharing.

That cat looks absolutely huge. I'd say if it had wanted to in better days that it could have made short work of a person.

Back