Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2794702 - 02/09/15 12:37 AM AZ Lion Down!
huntinaz Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Flagstaff AZ
Went out this afternoon for some predator calling. I've been taking my girls (6yrs and 4yrs) with me and they dig it. They have been my good luck charms and boy they didn't disappoint today. We walked an old logging road I'd been eyeing for years for 500-600 yards until we came to a good spot. I was targeting fox and bobcat and in AZ that's usually lion country as well. I had one girl on each side of me and a camo blanket over us. They sit reasonably still with their beanies and earmuffs on smile

At about the 12 minute mark, first stand, I was looking off to my left at the canyon side and my oldest daughter whispered "coyote, coyote." I look to where she pointed and saw an animal coming, I immediately got my youngest on the right to see it and she nodded. It was behind some trees trotting in, I got the scattergun up and waited. It appeared about 30-40 yards facing us and I thought "nice big tom bobcat" not remembering the animal I saw before had a tail. I shot and it stumbled then leaped in the air. I saw the tail then and thought "holy crap!"

It ran broadside thru some trees and I shot twice more. As it cleared the trees, 40-50 yards estimated, I had a good bead on it as it quartered away. The next two shots were visual hits, it arched and stumbled both times. As we watched, me out of shells, it hopped out of sight. I knew it was hit bad, it couldn't run and it stumbled and rolled twice before hobbling out of sight. Three visual hits. Since I was out of shells (moron) I got the girls back to the truck. I had one shot left in the truck but didn't want to leave the girls behind so I called some help. I went home, met my sister and her boyfriend, got more shells and he and I headed back out. A friend of mine had dogs but lives an hour away. He headed our way but due to unforeseen road closures he couldn't make it before dark. So we headed to the spot and found it dead about where I'd last seen it. I figured that was the case but didn't want to go in with my girls after a hurt lion.

Nice tom!:

We were sitting back in the trees maybe 80-100 yards behind where my dog is standing:

Wish it would have fallen in sight, would have loved for the girls to see it down.

Picks back at the house came out pretty crappy which is extremely unfortunate. Hopefully somebody got a good one, there were a few people taking pictures.

Weighed him at 118lbs. Couldn't have asked for an easier walk out but it was still a bear. I've been calling 6 years, mostly in cat country, very very excited to get this cat. I've been wanting one forever but was still super surprised when he came in. Anyway I'm pretty jacked, check him in to G&F tomorrow and then to the taxidermist!

Edited by huntinaz (02/16/15 11:17 PM)

#2794705 - 02/09/15 12:43 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
AzDiamondHeat Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Arizona
Congrats! Awesome (and a little scary) that the girls got to be a part of that.

#2794708 - 02/09/15 12:56 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: AzDiamondHeat]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Outstanding! The girls will remember that hunt for sure.
Assume you were using buckshot, what size?

Beautiful cat.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#2794710 - 02/09/15 01:02 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
Eugene Canterbury Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: AL / WI
Nice cat. Another reminder why it's nice to always carry a sidearm when out hunting.

#2794712 - 02/09/15 01:10 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: Eugene Canterbury]
huntinaz Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Flagstaff AZ
Yes AZheat, the wife was not ecstatic about a cat this big.

Was using #4 buck, and he was full of it.

Eugene, Yeah, this was unusual. I often carry a sidearm but more often I carry more shells for my 12 ga. If I have to shoot something, I'd rather do it with the shotgun. We ended up in a hurry to get out and I forgot to grab the handful of shells for my pocket. I just put some in my pack.

#2794714 - 02/09/15 01:19 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: Eugene Canterbury]
IAyoteHNTR Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: SE IOWA
Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury
Nice cat. Another reminder why it's nice to always carry a sidearm when out hunting.

X2

Very nice cat.

I love my family and my country. Family is ALWAYS first!

BIG 2nd amendment fan, even BIGGER 1st amendment fan!

#2794717 - 02/09/15 01:32 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
Redleg84 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Maine
Wow, that's an awesome cat!

#2794720 - 02/09/15 02:55 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
Pa. Mick Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southern shores of Lake Erie ,...
THAT IS SO COOL. !! Congrats to you & your daughters ! Beautiful cat & to get a Tom . One of those are on my bucket list. Calling one in would be awesome ! Good luck topping that !

#2794727 - 02/09/15 05:54 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
rpc55 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Maine
A big congrats to you and your girls!!!!

#2794737 - 02/09/15 06:48 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
Extremely cool story! Congrats on a beautiful lion, and most importantly two great little hunting companions. You have a lot to be thankful for there, congrats again.

#2794743 - 02/09/15 07:16 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
Saskcoyote78 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
wow...nice cat!!

#2794771 - 02/09/15 08:58 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
whitetail436 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
What a memory!!! Congratulations!!!

#2794782 - 02/09/15 09:26 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
YoteslayerWA Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Spokane WA
That is an awesome story and big cat. I have seen a few cats but never had an opportunity to shoot one. Congrats

#2794788 - 02/09/15 09:45 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: huntinaz]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
Awesome on so many levels. Congrats!

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#2794792 - 02/09/15 09:52 AM Re: AZ Lion Down! [Re: crapshoot]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
Unbelievable! And with a shotgun too. Not sure how you could ever mistake that for a coyote or bobcat though.

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.