Titegroup powder ?

I've not used it in my 500 S@W but having used it in 45ACP I can tell you it is HOT! I just looked at Hodgdon.com and they don't even show a load for it in a 500. If you use it be careful to not do a double charge.

If you look at the 460 SW data it shows only 15.5gr. of Tightgroup as a max load in the 460 with a 360gr.bullet. Where a powder like H4227 is 35.5gr. So it would be easy to dump two drops in a case. This stuff turned my 45ACP brass blue on the ends.

I shoot titegroup and I can tell you it's very clean shooting and accurate. Love it in all my handgun calibers especially .357and 45acp. I also use 10 grains in my 45-70 w a 405 cast lead bullet Very mild plinker load that costs about the same as shooting a 22LR at today's prices.

I've got a chart from Handguns.com that shows this load for the .50 S & W. Not much powder for that big of case but there are some good and also some bad comments about it. Most of the bad comes from semi-auto shooters but then some love it. There are plenty of comments about how hot it is and cautions about double charges. I like the fact that you can get a lot more loads out of a pound of the Titegroup than most of the other powders and it's acclaimed to be very accurate. A Hodgkin's chart shows a maximum load of 18.5 grains for the 350gr bullet at 50,000 psi and a velocity of 1430 fps. That should be a hand full
smile.gif
I'm still waiting on the dies and I have to drive 140 miles roundtrip for powder. So I'm in the information gathering mode, will come back with some results when I get everything together. Thanks for your input.

350gr FMJ 16.2 gr Titegroup 1,500 fps Win LRM
Berry’s 350 Plated - Soft recoil, very accurate

I prefer a lot higher % cartridge fill powder myself. Even beyond the double charge safety factor I've always found loads with a 90%+ fill seem to be more accurate for me....I think it helps with the powder position sensitivity you sometimes get.

I use Titegroup in different loadings, and do like it. Of course it is on the fast side, more suitable for target and lighter loadings. I like it in the 9mm with lighter bullets and mid power 38 SPCL loads. It works fine in many 45 acp loads too.

One always hears the cautions about a 'double charge' which is easier with fast powders. To that I go back to the 'quality over quantity' statement.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsJust check the cases with a flashlight before seating bullets. That is what I do.

Do you think you'd see the difference with such light charges? That is a big case, I'm not sure a double charge would be that much different looking.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsJust check the cases with a flashlight before seating bullets. That is what I do.

Do you think you'd see the difference with such light charges? That is a big case, I'm not sure a double charge would be that much different looking.

Us old school fellows use to use a stick the same size as the case and marked it where the powder is supposed to be. We didn't have Flashlights. I remedied this also by putting in the powder and seating the bullet. This is easier for me. With tite-group I can shoot the 500 all day. Its when I switch to H110 that I start to feel the pain.

Ron Reiber said this powder does exactly what it is supposed to do and I agree. It is not position sensitive in the big cases. Such as the 45 Colt and the 500 mag. This use to be a problem with the 45 colt because It had to remain under 14000 PSI so one could not fill up the case to 75 percent or more like many like to. ( better performance most of the time.) They later came up with Trail Boss for the SASS filling cases to about 75-90 percent gave pretty good results. I have had some good results with the accuracy of tite group But each gun is different. and always try all that you can afford or find. Bullet and powder combinations that is. You will like it so much better when you then have all the confidence that you will hit your target because you know YOUR load, and gun.

I have used Titegroup for years in Cowboy Action Shooting. Small charges, BUT if you look at the Pressure it generates, it is typically the lowest pressure of most fast powders. Love it. Excellent accuracy. Cheers, Ottway

Well with the powder situation the way it is I wasn't able to locate any Titegroup but I did find some Longshot and ordered that. Anybody have any experience with the Longshot?

Back