Center Point 4-16X40 Illuminated Reticle

Voyager28

A friend of mine gave me the above scope and raved about how well it tracked and how accurate it was. Well, knowing that the thing sells at WalMart for less than $100 I was really skeptical. So, I mounted it on my BLR-81, 30-06, and off to the range I went.

First shot at 50 yards to "get on the paper" and get the feel of it. To my surprise, after 3 shots and a adjustment I was banging 1" groups with ease.

Then I went to the 100 yard range and, low and behold, I was 2" high just like the text book said it would be. Again groups were 1" to 1 1/2".

Next, went to the 200 yard range and this thing was dead on zero, 1" to 2" groups. I was both surprised and shocked.

I was concerned as to whether this scope could take the pounding from a 30-06 so, totally, I put about 100 rounds down range, Hornady Superformance 180 grain. Never budged or wavered.

I don't get it. I expected this thing to be a total POS but, as it turned out, I may just keep it mounted. The quality of the glass isn't all that great but it sure does track well and holds zero very well.

Has anyone else used this scope? I'd love to read some other shooter's experience with it.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
The airgun gun love them. They are really hardy agains recoil.

The optics are seviceable, but nothing to write home about. But I feel they are a better option than any other lower priced scope out there. I'd rather run one of these versus a Tasco or cheap Bushnell.

My buddy had built a real nice AR. A lot of quality components to the rifle, good stuff...he was short on funds because he spent them on the rifle build, so he tossed a Center Point on top of it and went shooting. It worked well for him for a while...he left it there for quite a bit of time, even after he recouped his play funds...it just kept working.

The true test of reliability isn't if it tracks a few moa out to 2-300 yds, because the total adjustment you're making, in relation to the total adjustment potential is very small, and in turn, the error rate isn't even noticeable yet.

You should dial it the full range of the turret up, then down to the bottom...and end at your zero point. Then shoot a group. Do that about 3-5 times to see if it is REALLY tracking the way it should.

And/or. Shoot a box test. The guy in the video shoots a box test with 6 MOA adjustments (3 up and 3 down). That doesn't give you enough adjustment range to truly test your scope. I would get a bigger piece of paper and do this same test with at LEAST 10 MOA up, Down, Left and Right. (that's 20 MOA total, and still only about 1/4 - 1/3 of the scopes total adjustment potential)
10 MOA for the .30-06 is close to 450-500 yd shots. Well within kill range, as long as the scope tracks.

There is also a huge difference in tracking for a zero, and tracking for a turret twister. A Browning lever rifle is typically the first type... I don't believe anyone is making he claim that this Centerpoint should be the choice of a BR or FClass shooter or anyone else that requires that type of funtion... Just that it went where directed when sighing in...Apples and Oranges comparison to what you refered.

For what most people are doing they are a great scope. The old ones had more than the usual number of mil-dots which helped with longer shots if you knew how to use them.(not sure if the new style has the same number). When my 17hm2 barrel gets in I will be box testing my Charger with the old style 4-16x40 CP. The current barrel is too short for the scope to be of any use.

Thanks for the input, Guys. I really appreciate it. For my needs, where I hunt and what I hunt, I seldom get a shot over 200 yards and most of the time it's around 100 to 150. My 68 y/o eyes just don't get it done much further than that. (Mostly hunt hogs in FL, GA and SC. some of those swamp hogs get pretty big so the 30-06 works very well for me)
smile.gif

So, this thing may work out pretty well for me. As I said, I was really skeptical knowing the price range and where they are sold. But, so far, especially for the price I paid for it, it's worked out better than expected.

Thanks again for the input.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I have had a Centerpoint 4x16 for some time now. I got it from Wal-Mart for something like $69 if I remember correctly.
I put it on a Marlin .17 HMR and so far the scope is doing well. It seems to hold zero as well as other scopes I have.
Personally I think it's a pretty good scope for the money and in your case, it's a great deal since you got it for free.
I'm not sure how well it it might hold up on the 30-06, but on the HMR it's been fine.

I' had one that rode on several rifles without issue and asc as far as I know the guy that has it bo hasn't had any issues. My step dad has on that has been on his 270 since the day I got it for him and is still going strong. Glass inst anything special but they are durable.

I also have the same scope and it has ridden on my 243, 30-06, 7-08, 17hmr and now rests on an AR15.
I have had zero issues and no problem smacking 500 yard steel with it.
Its my spare scope that I pop on guns when I have more of than much more expensive optics.
It just keep on going.

I've had 3 of 'em on 22's for years and never had an issue except the critical eye box at 16X (scope wash out when looking close to the sun). Turrets work fine to the extremes of the erector travel, and I haven't had any issues with mine returning to zero or holding zero on the 22's.

Originally Posted By: 5spdI also have the same scope and it has ridden on my 243, 30-06, 7-08, 17hmr and now rests on an AR15.
I have had zero issues and no problem smacking 500 yard steel with it.
Its my spare scope that I pop on guns when I have more of than much more expensive optics.
It just keep on going.

The above has been my experience too.

Must have been shortly after Wal-mart began selling that scope, I was coming home from a gun show with a well used rifle that would need a scope. Remembered the Centerpoint I'd seen for around $69, so stopped and bought the 4-16 centerpoint. Thats been 5-6 years ago at least. Can't think of the number of rifles its been on. Anything from a 22 to a 30-06, with lots of cartridges in between them. Darn thing will not break, go bad and etc., so I can throw it away.

Back