Best night of hunting yet.

Rock Knocker

Me and two buddies hunted from 9:30pm to 6:30 this morning and what a night.

I think we called a dozen times and I called in at least 10 coyotes. We got 3 down, one mangy the other two ugly and one of those had the gaurd hairs rubbed off.

First my opening howl started a group upwind to start a full seranade not far but I don't think they wanted to head downwind to check us out. Then I called a seperate coyote in that I didn't even see but it came in full run past the shotgun guy to our down wind and took off even faster.

On our second stand I called one from up wind to a field edge 200 yards away, I was on the other side of a small hill and couldn't see it and my buddy couldn't get a shot.

Our third stand was uneventfull then on the way back to the truck we had a group start to how up wind of us and a sigle respond back from down wind, we had already walked and called this area. So we head twords the group upwind which leads us to a great hill overlooking a field, the same small hill we were just on at our second stand. I ended up calling in a triple from the same spot I was just at but my buddy jumped the gun because he was laying prone and the coyotes were about to be under the hill and he could get a shot. He got one and I took two shots at running coyotes 150 yards away and missed.

After that we had a couple slow spots. Then I called the mangy one and it got a full load of #4 buck to the neck.

One of our last stands I shot one that was trying to circle down wind hiding behind hills in an open field. What I missed was the 3 coyotes around 300 yards away that were heading straight for us. I couldn't get them to come back but they didn't take off in a hurry.

Hahaha... I had a good feeling about the night so I put my camera on the charger and that's as far as it made it. My friends aren't the most photogenic, I would get some heckeling for taking pictures of mangy coyotes. But at least the batteries are full and I will remember a camera on one of my hunting trips.

I heard some distress calls coming from the TV so I had to check what was on.

I'm a little bummed out with the quality of fur this year. We got some ugly ones earlier this winter. I got busted by a much better looking one on Tuesday. I called in a triple on Monday but it was so dark with the lack of snow I didn't take a shot. I'm kicking myself because I had a real big one in the crosshairs but I paused to make sure I knew what I was shooting at(because it was suprisingly big) and missed my chance. My buddy made a questionable shot on one that we never could track down.

I had much less success in other years learning all of this but I had much better luck with fur quality.

Last edited:
Back