Thermal preference? Armasite Zeus or rs64

SEcowboy

Trying to get a feel what everyone thinks , wether you have tried one or have one. Positives and negatives, bc rt now I'm thinking the Rs64 is better bet.but still want to hear if anyone has something to add.

I have the zeus 336 75mm 60hz, I like the unit. I can clearly ID out to 200yds. The 75mm zoom is like 5x day scope. So using it for scanning you get a limited narrow view. For shots under 100 to 150 yds the 42mm lens would be better 3x. I like the external connections on the zeus. I have built an external battery pack that uses 2 18650 batts. It will go 6 plus hrs, and only takes a few seconds to swap out batts, or I can keep running on the internal cr123a batts.

B18650BatteryPack_zps8fc2aa87.jpg

Hard ware. Thanks for the input. I keep going back that exact scope. There is just much good info on flir though. Pete I'm
Very curious also on the IR hunter. Please. Keep us up to date.

I sure will as soon as I get it in. I can say that I had a FLIR PS 24 for about two years. I had a problem with it one time when I tried to download a update on it. The screen went blank and I called FLIR. I made contact with a tech that did not work on that system. He told me to hold on and went and got a tech that works with the PS systems. He put me on speaker and they walked me through the problem in about 20 minutes. So to say this, FLIRs customer service is awesome. They treated me and my low end product just like I had an expensive unit. That is hard to find these days.
I called IR defense to check and see if the warranty would transfer if I purchased a used unit that a individual was selling on another site. I called IR Defense and did not get an answer. I did not leave a message and just said well their no FLIR. Well, about ten minutes later I got a call from a person at IR Defense. This suprised me for sure. I spoke to the tech about the warranty transfer and he said I was the first to ask him that and he admitted that he did not know. He advised that he would find out and get back with me. Well, about a hour later he called me back like he said he was. He answered my question and it would transfer. I figured I would give the IR scope a try because of the customer service form that tech. He followed through with his promise knowing I was not going to purchase a system from him.
Customer Service goes a long way with me. So both companies (FLIR and IR) have been good so far.
Sorry for such the long post but just wanted to let y'all know the dealings I've had with these companies (good or bad). These units are a lot of money and it can be hard to pull the trigger on one of these units.

Originally Posted By: Pete RobinetteI sure will as soon as I get it in. I can say that I had a FLIR PS 24 for about two years. I had a problem with it one time when I tried to download a update on it. The screen went blank and I called FLIR. I made contact with a tech that did not work on that system. He told me to hold on and went and got a tech that works with the PS systems. He put me on speaker and they walked me through the problem in about 20 minutes. So to say this, FLIRs customer service is awesome. They treated me and my low end product just like I had an expensive unit. That is hard to find these days.
I called IR defense to check and see if the warranty would transfer if I purchased a used unit that a individual was selling on another site. I called IR Defense and did not get an answer. I did not leave a message and just said well their no FLIR. Well, about ten minutes later I got a call from a person at IR Defense. This suprised me for sure. I spoke to the tech about the warranty transfer and he said I was the first to ask him that and he admitted that he did not know. He advised that he would find out and get back with me. Well, about a hour later he called me back like he said he was. He answered my question and it would transfer. I figured I would give the IR scope a try because of the customer service form that tech. He followed through with his promise knowing I was not going to purchase a system from him.
Customer Service goes a long way with me. So both companies (FLIR and IR) have been good so far.
Sorry for such the long post but just wanted to let y'all know the dealings I've had with these companies (good or bad). These units are a lot of money and it can be hard to pull the trigger on one of these units.

Thanks for your review on both I am in the market for thermal just waiting on the shot show and will be pulling the trigger so any input only helps.

Dropped the hammer on a Flir RS 64 35mm last year and had a couple of questions. Flir techs got back to me by e-mail within an hour and were very helpful. First class service from Flir. Also give a shout out to TNVC for the sale and service on the Flir also.

Last edited:
Pete thanks. Service and warranty are both big factors for me. I'm thinking pilling the trigger on the rs64. Dry creek. How do u like yours? Avg shot range? Comfortable shot range? Would you get a 60mm if had todo over?

I think the ire looks good and more multipurpose then RS.

Here is an RS64-35mm hog that I shot at 175 yards here in Florida:

You do not want an RS64-60mm unless the majority of your shots at night are over 250-300 yards and you are using something like a .308, it has a tiny FOV for anything under that range.

It is a long range scope, most people here in Florida do not regularly shoot over 300 yards at night since you have so few places you can see more than 50 yards in the swamps and woods at night. The RS64-35mm covers everything under 300 yards.

Skypup, can you rate a T70 vs. an RS-64 on a scale of 1 to 10? I have been threatening to buy one or the other. I know the T70 is more than twice the price. Is it twice the scope? thanks

They are kinda two different animals.

First off the T-70 is a hardened hard core military spec instrument that is shock proof, water proof to 30' deep, and vibration proof, battery pack is hardened for CR 123s or AAs, comes with video cord, has remote control switch, is a clip on and a standalone, contains 5.56mm and 7.62mm BDC reticules, is resistant to .50 cal BMG recoil, is super hard core and is expensive. You can clip it on in front of any 4X scope and use it right away, will handle up to 6X day optic max but that cuts off the visible screen icons from view above 4X.

That said, it also has the AWESOME 0.5X, 1.0X unity, and 2.0X digital zoom, the 0.5X to me is absolutely required as we are hunting dangerous game in thick overgrown areas and that WFOV is to die for.

As far as visual, the LS64-35 is about and 8 out of 10 comaprison to the T-70, they have different firmware and software, although the new coming releases of RS64-35mm software and firmware could bring that up to 9 out of 10 real soon.

RS64-35m is a standalone only, half the price, internal battery works excellent and mostly forget about charging it up for an entire night while the T-70 will use batteries, especially if video recording. RS-64 is super easy to use, auto NUCs, saves presets for different rifles, basically is an all aroung Go-To thermal instantly ready for action.

Having both on different rifes, I use them for different purposes depending on where we are going and what the plan is, also the clip-ons are easy to loan out as just clip them on and start hunting.

The very best is the T-70, second best is the RS64-35mm, they both are worth every cent I paid for them and get used almost every night of the week one way or another.

I cannot choose for you and what type of hunting you do, they both have the same range and both will kill everything inside that range without a problem, just different ways of doing the same thing.

Being a hardened military operational thermal scope, the T-70 fits the bill for hardcore use toting around on ATVs/UTVs, swamps, etc., the RS64-35 takes allot of abuse too and never had any hassle with anything from either of them.

Oh, and did I say the 0.5X view is to die for, no other thermal scope has that???
tt1.gif

thanks for your in depth explanation on the differences between the two. you just made me want to but one of each...
smile.gif
I will decide something very soon. thanks

My average shot is about 150 yds but have shot to 250 on hogs and coyotes. Can easily ID to 250 yds on a cool low humidity night. The Flir RS 64 35mm is crystal clear and the FOV covers my shooting perfectly as my shots range from 50 yds to 250 yds. The internal battery gives about 4 hours straight run but recently bought an EOTech x320 and only use the Flir RS for shooting. Holds perfect zero through the zoom range. Would not get the 60mm as I need all the FOV that I can get sometimes. My shots from 150 to 250 yds are from an elevated deer stand with a rock solid rest.

SECowboy,
I have not forgot about giving you my review. The scopes have been on back order. I changed to the MK II 1.5 x thermal from the MK I 3x. The MK II came in and I was offered that or still wait for the MK I. So I was tired of waiting and got the MK II. The scope should be in by Wed of next week. I will give update soon.

Back