February Fullmoon Double!

Kollincoyote

A buddy and I went out Wednesday night to try a couple spots.

First spot we had coyotes howling in 3 spots around us but sounded a ways off. Decided to go to the spot where it sounded like only one howling.

We got setup and I howled 4 times I think, and 2 coyotes came running right to left at about 150 yards.

They both stopped so I lip sqweeked a bunch to try to get em to come but all that did was cause the left one to start trotting to the down wind side.

When it got to about 100 yards I woofed to stop it and dumped her!

Fox bang kicked in and with in 15 seconds the other came back to see what was wrong with her mate. I got him stopped and dumped him too!!

Both coyotes were laying dead 20 yards apart about 100 yards away from me! I started to dance alittle bit afterwards cuz that's my first double in my life!! I looked down at the remote and all this happened with in 6 minutes!

I've called in many doubles and have never been able to get the second one so this was pretty dang cool!!

thumbup.gif
That's some great action and you can't beat that for time frame.

Originally Posted By: borkonvery cool Mort.
those MN dogs??

Thanks alot guys!! Dave, yeah they're actually a half a mile away from being Iowa coyotes!!

Darn nice fur for around here and didn't see any rub marks which I thought was weird cuz my last few have had some.

I need to find a gun like yours... I'm tired of sewing up tennis ball size holes!!!

Last edited:
dang nice looking coyotes.
yeah man, i hate sewing fur. mostly a thing of the past now
thumbup1.gif

this is VERY typical now
smile.gif

Dave that's your .17-.204??

I've been kicking around the idea of a .17 cal.
Just don't know what yet because I want it in an AR platform...
Was thinking either
.17 rem.
.17-.223
I have about a truck load of .223 brass so might go with the .17-.223 route

Congrats on the double. I'm curious what time you went out? I'm in NE Iowa so not too far from MN border. Hoping to get out at night for the first time - maybe tonight.

Wow, those are exceptional coyotes for Minnesota. We don't get many that look like that in the east central part of the state.

Good looking dogs, the first step in saving fur is not using ballistic tips. My 204 and tac 20 look about like Dave's holes, unless you fringe hit them and then its a golf ball or tad bigger.

yes, 17-204. very rarely have to make a stitch.

i'm with HL. stay away for any plastic tipped bullet for coyotes.

if you have not tried them, get some soft point or a harder hollowpoint and you should see less damage.

Ok thanks alot guys I have some of everything laying around so I'll play with those.

I go out when ever I start seeing shadows in my back yard.. so early moon it's around 8 pm and then later as the late moon rises.. but most of my success is before midnight.. but I haven't hunted much lately around 3 or 4 am.

Before midnight also seems to be our best time too. Later in the year and when its warm at night they seem to stay out longer, but when its cold they seem to go to bed early.

Back