Help me build the ultimate predator/turkey shotgun

Js9089

I have the following guns, bought both and am having a hard time deciding which direction to go. Really don't need them both and would prefer to land on one as my go-to and sell the other. Ultimately the goal is to create the ultimate turkey/predator shotgun. I will play with the chokes and loads to get the optimal load and pattern for each. Also, I would like to mount an optic of some sort.

Gun 1: Remington SP-10 Turkey, 23" barrel, old school tre-bark camo. I like the 10 gauge performance, but ammo selection and availability is a challenge. I don't intend to reload for 10 gauge. It is very heavy and in my opinion doesn't point particularly well. There isn't a good (easy) way to mount an optic. It doesn't have factory rifle sights.

Gun 2: Remington 11-87 Super Mag Turkey, 23" barrel, camo (can't remember which pattern). It isn't the big 10 gauge. Lots of ammo availability. Factory rifle sights. Factory drilled and tapped for scope bases. High comb for rifle sights will work great for an optic. Lighter and points better.

I guess the question might come down to: is the 10 gauge performance worth the weight and hassle to mount an optic.

I'd go with the 11-87 and put a small bodied red-dot on it. As long as your shooting hevi-shot ammo you'll get plenty of performance with the 12GA.

i agree with other posters except that you have to use hevi shot to get suffient performance out of a 12ga.nothing you stated about the 10 was good so imo there is no question to start

In my opinion a good turkey shotgun and a good coyote shotgun are two completely different shotguns.

A camo waterfowl shotgun with a 26" barrel or longer makes a great coyote shotgun. Shooting a running coyote is much more like shooting a flying bird than it is like shooting a standing turkey in the head.

If you can shoot flying birds with a shotgun it will be a good coyote shotgun as long as it will shoot 3 shots or more.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobIn my opinion a good turkey shotgun and a good coyote shotgun are two completely different shotguns.

A camo waterfowl shotgun with a 26" barrel or longer makes a great coyote shotgun. Shooting a running coyote is much more like shooting a flying bird than it is like shooting a standing turkey in the head.

If you can shoot flying birds with a shotgun it will be a good coyote shotgun as long as it will shoot 3 shots or more.

I agree, sort of. I can shoot birds on the wing with my 21" bbl and express sights, so I use that for all coyote and turkey endevours.

At least in the turkey department, I've been down this road twice. The first culminated in a Browning Gold 10 gauge with an Aimpoint. The second time, I came up with this monster:

Cynergy.jpg

That's a Eotech-crowned Browning Cynergy O/U 3 1/2" 12 gauge with a Rhino turkey choke on the top barrel and an improved cylinder on the bottom.

A couple of incidents come to mind that will become relevant later on. I've had the pleasure of turkey hunting with Allen Jenkins, former owner of Lynch Turkey Call company. The first time we went hunting, when he showed up at my house I was eager to see exactly what kind of turkey hunting shotgun he had. Much to my surprise, it was a Browning Citori O/U in 20 gauge. Other than the various scratches and dings from long years of use, it was as shiny as it was when he took it out of the box.

The second incident that comes to mind was a couple of years ago when Kiz Jr. called up a couple of gobblers for us. For those of you that don't know, Kiz Jr. shoots competitive Olympic double trap. That day he was carrying his little Benelli 20 gauge youth model, his first shotgun. I couldn't get a response with a diaphragm, but these two birds just loved his Lynch box and they came in on the proverbial string. Problem was, that string took them right through a little botton right in front of us and we were basically sitting in zero cover from there. Sure enough, those two heads popped out of that bottom a mere 15 yards from us, which is starting to get too close for comfort to me. We did the old "1-2-SHOOT" and Kiz Jr. missed his standing-still bird, which immediately took flight straight away. I barely had time to think "Boy, you look like a huge clay target. I don't think you should have flown away like that" when BOOM, Kiz Jr shot him in the head at 40 yards. Kiz Jr. has had little experience shooting at stationary targets. However, he's had a LOT of experience shooting at flying ones.

As I said, I've been down this road twice. That's because I used to miss turkeys better than anyone else in the world. A buddy of mine once said I miss more turkeys in a season than most people see. My personal season best (or worst) is 6 misses in a single season, and I've done that twice. Lest you think me an imbecile, in my defense, I killed 13 turkeys one of those seasons and 12 the other.

The end result of all this missing and experimenting is a pretty good idea of what constitutes the ultimate turkey shotgun, and I think this can also be fairly applied to a predator shotgun too.

The best turkey shotgun is the one you shoot well, all the time.

No matter what kind of sights you have on it, no matter how many admonitions to "aim, don't point", a shotgun full of birdshot is a weapon that, for nearly the entirety of its roughly 300 year evolution, was meant to be pointed, not aimed. I think the optics "craze" on shotguns has more to do with selling optics than it does with improving one's "aim", and I think aiming a shotgun is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. No optic is ever going to replace the skill honed by untold numbers of clay targets, dove, duck, quail, etc., none of which can, im my humble opinion, be hunted with a shotgun-mounted optic.

So, after two journeys down that road (or, as it turns out, down that rabbit hole), I went out and purchased myself a Browning BPS NWTF edition 3 1/2" 12 gauge two years ago. That gun fit me well, and I have killed 16 turkeys with it as well as two coyotes, a gray fox, untold dove and duck, and even a western diamondback. It has also broken umpteen clay targets. It's sitting in my truck right now. As a matter of fact, it lives there year round.

Getting back to your particulars, as much as I love 10 gauges (I have three), I would bet that the Remington is the only one of those that qualifies as a year round gun. I think buying ammo and shooting it a lot would be be money better spent than buying an optic.

why would said gun not work for turkey?if you can hit flying birds and running coyotes why not standing turkey. because that is a choke/load/practice issue. different chokes and load patterning are needed sure but a different gun?i most likely havent killed as many as you but ive never seen a more versitile firearm than a shotgun.not being confrontational,maybe ive misunderstood your answer,but ive never had an issue with mine playing duel roles other than obviously repatterning

I also would just use the 12 ga, ammo selection is where it's at. I'll take a shorter barrel for predators and turkey.

I agree with Derby-your going to be "wing shooting" on most of your coyotes. Sights and what not will just slow you down. Turkey is another thing.

i guess im not following...it seems whenever a question about predator chokes comes up the vast majority reply about the importance of patterning and most reply their preference is full choke and the goal is to obtain the highest shot density on target...i agree.the tighter a pattern the more need to"aim" agree?if your wingshooting yotes then yes its more like point shooting the way shotguns were designed to shoot at clays and upland but why would sights slow you down...a front bead alone should be there naturally without having to find it.i live in region that has a long history/tradition of driving deer and if finding sights slowed us down no one would ever kill deer.the same shotgun can hunt it all with slight adjustments and some proficentcy sp?of course a yote and turkey gun arent the same who hunts turkey wih buckshot

i guess what im trying to say is derby said if you can hit flying birds its a good yote setup,possibly implying the gun isnt good for turkeys when really the gun itself has nothing to do with it.its the skill of the person holding it to be able to pattern it and hit moving targets and im confused why a sight or sights would slow down or impair instictive point type shooting a shotgun

Originally Posted By: stickyburrsi guess im not following...it seems whenever a question about predator chokes comes up the vast majority reply about the importance of patterning and most reply their preference is full choke and the goal is to obtain the highest shot density on target...i agree.the tighter a pattern the more need to"aim" agree?if your wingshooting yotes then yes its more like point shooting the way shotguns were designed to shoot at clays and upland but why would sights slow you down...a front bead alone should be there naturally without having to find it.i live in region that has a long history/tradition of driving deer and if finding sights slowed us down no one would ever kill deer.the same shotgun can hunt it all with slight adjustments and some proficentcy sp?of course a yote and turkey gun arent the same who hunts turkey wih buckshot

Are you questioning open iron sights or a glass optic bolted atop the gun?

open sights or bead beause i personally havent seen people use reddots or optics when pursuing flying upland birds or waterfowl and although i dont use optics on a shotgun my understanding is that red dot optics are for fast target accuisition.maybe i confused the term sights for optics?... the op asked for help with a pred/turkey gun and some answers suggested you couldnt have both in the same gun.i beg to differ.i wouldnt hunt squirrel with the same choke/load for deer but same gun for sure

Last edited:
im not trying to call derby or anyone else out.this place is full of great people...and legit professionals.im not(a pro lol).my apologies if it came off that way.maybe 4.5 feet of snow and a bad case of cabin fever has me over analyzing responses and i was trying to understand the logic as it was posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stickyburrsi guess what im trying to say is derby said if you can hit flying birds its a good yote setup,possibly implying the gun isnt good for turkeys when really the gun itself has nothing to do with it.its the skill of the person holding it to be able to pattern it and hit moving targets and im confused why a sight or sights would slow down or impair instictive point type shooting a shotgun

I can see how when I wrote, In my opinion a good turkey shotgun and a good coyote shotgun are two completely different shotguns. you might think that I implied that the shotgun would not be good for turkeys.

If you can hit birds flying and coyotes running with a shotgun I don't see why that shotgun would not work for turkeys, with a change of the choke.

When you shoot a shotgun at fast flying birds or fast running coyotes with a shotgun you shouldn't be looking at the beads or a sight on your shotgun barrel, you should be looking at the fast flying bird or the fast running coyote.

My coyote shotguns normally have a imp/mod choke or a modified choke in them. I want about a 20" wide pattern at 40 yards with 12g/cc HD #2s, B or BBs. I don't want a super tight 10" pattern at 40 yards for coyotes, I want to be able to hit running coyotes at less than 40 yards.

How many shots would you need to shoot at turkeys in a year to need a special shotgun just for turkeys?

thats what i thought you were saying after reading it a few times lol family has been on vacation and all the snow and only two dogs to talk too for 6 days ,im alittle foggy lol.thank you for the clarification.i agree completely with looking at your target not your front sight and following through shooting moving targets.i dont think you posted that and its why i asked why a sight would slow or impede not realizing sight may have meant optic and ive always thought again no expert that by using a correct length properly sized good mounting gun and fudementals/practice(w the one you have)would put your eye where it needs to be and if you had a pic of your line of sight the instant the shot broke a front bead would be right where it needed to be even if we are unaware of it ?

Last edited:
Back