PM Hunt Trip.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Arrived in AZ yesterday and sighted in rifles in Kingman and bought my license. Spent the night out on the BLM near Wickenberg.

Six minutes into the first stand called in a nice well furred coyote, spooked him trying to get it into position to shoot, not used to standing at a stand, gun was awkward not resting on sticks. Hope the trend continues. Dogs, not my ineptitude.

Other than the not killing part, I can't imagine a better start. At least you got that out of your system already.

Wish we were there.

that must feel awesome ...show up and its on......good luck!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

Not so good In UT , I don't know the area and my nephew is new at this. We hunted skull canyon from the proving grounds up to the highway and the north to the landfill and quite a ways past that. I've called a few there in the past, there was very little sign, a single track here and there, never found any fresh scat. We even got down in some of the heavy sage and called but just sa w rabbits. Pretty country, great cover but i couldn't pull anything in.

Been checking out the country around tucson and making a couples stands a day with my 90 YeaR old German drilling. Called in two dogs out of three atands and finally blooded the old girl stand three with the 16ga , 2 1/2" loaded with an ounce of nicKle plared BBs. DRT
Pics when i get to a real compufer

Being a northern boy hunting down here is really different. I'm mainly a pelt hunter so think insulated pants, long johns and mittens or gloves.

Down here just rolling your sleeves down is too warm, I even leave the light cotton gloves in the truck, a light weight gillie over a T-shirt feels like a winter coat.

Surprisingly the pelts are prime(leather nice and white) and the fur is kind of pretty, nice enough to have tanned and make things out of. I could get $60 each selling them tanned to tourists.

One nice thing they have almost no fat on them and for tanning hardly need to be fleshed, put a nice one on a stretcher yesterday.

Getting caught up on laundry today, had to bring winter and summer clothes as it was 16 degrees in Utah while I was hunting there and I plan to hunt northern Nevada on the way home next week.

Coyote road trips it doesn't get any better, my old van is getting a work out.

Back