6MM Remington what's the good ,bad and ugly on it ?

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

not sure but theres a gang of them making a 243... i wonder why that is,
confused.gif
just saying....

Yes, so? Barack Obama won a second term, too. Seems we have
plenty of acts of stupidity to point to.
tt2.gif

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

confused.gif
just saying....

Yes, so? Barack Obama won a second term, too. Seems we have
plenty of acts of stupidity to point to.
tt2.gif

Squeeze

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

confused.gif
just saying....

Is there something in the water in California? Just saying....

Originally Posted By: outwestOriginally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

confused.gif
just saying....

Lets see some of your best groups with a 6mm rem... unless your still shooting grandpa's 30-30 cowboy

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: outwestOriginally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

confused.gif
just saying....

Lets see some of your best groups with a 6mm rem... unless your still shooting grandpa's 30-30 cowboy

Now that is a thought filled post right there.

Are there laws in some parts of the country that say you can only have one or the other, in this case 243 Win or 6MM Rem rifles, and if you don't have at least one of each, that you have to bad mouth the one you don't have to boost your ego? It seems like a common occurrence here, and it is always amusing to watch the silliness that progressively unfolds. It's kinda' silly like I bet watching an 80 year old woman "progressively unfold" in a strip joint would be. Sad but silly.

Originally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

When I posted this I was just asking if anyone knew of a major mfg. still making the 6mm for sale, as I would be interested in one. I was not saying that the 243 or the 6mm was better than the other. Just a simple question.

Originally Posted By: outwestOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

When I posted this I was just asking if anyone knew of a major mfg. still making the 6mm for sale, as I would be interested in one. I was not saying that the 243 or the 6mm was better than the other. Just a simple question.

lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: outwestOriginally Posted By: outwestAny of the major mfg. building a 6mm any longer?

Since I got involved in the discussion I'll clarify my comments for you. They were not directed at you at all. They were directed at the "groups/30 30 cowboy" comment. Time spent here will show you that no good deed, however well intentioned it is, will probably not go unpunished by someone with a totally unrelated and separate agenda of some sort.

As to your question, no major manufacturer that I know of is currently chambering rifles in 6MM Rem. You can find good ones on the used market, both Remington and Ruger, but they are not on every used gun rack by any means. Cooper will build one for you, but they fall more into the semi-custom range of rifles. Any good smith will have a 6MM Rem reamer.

[/quote]

Since I got involved in the discussion I'll clarify my comments for you. They were not directed at you at all. They were directed at the "groups/30 30 cowboy" comment. Time spent here will show you that no good deed, however well intentioned it is, will probably not go unpunished by someone with a totally unrelated and separate agenda of some sort..[/quote]

Just to get it out.. getting off subject is the reaction you get when you say stupid stuff... my first comment was fact that every one makes a 243. Then all the sudden there's something in the water in califorina..... then I defend myself so be it.... conclusion if you don't have both rifles or have experience with them don't comment....

Originally Posted By: berger-king

Since I got involved in the discussion I'll clarify my comments for you. They were not directed at you at all. They were directed at the "groups/30 30 cowboy" comment. Time spent here will show you that no good deed, however well intentioned it is, will probably not go unpunished by someone with a totally unrelated and separate agenda of some sort..[/quote]

Just to get it out.. getting off subject is the reaction you get when you say stupid stuff... my first comment was fact that every one makes a 243. Then all the sudden there's something in the water in califorina..... then I defend myself so be it.... conclusion if you don't have both rifles or have experience with them don't comment.... [/quote]

Maybe you should re-read the posts.

After 400+ post I have never been in stupied argument like this.... this will be my last comment on this post..bto save everybody s time if u want to take it further feel free to pm me...

After rereading post I came up with both of us being alittle off subject.. original post is for the scoop on a 6mm after doing some research on a 243.... now off subject dose anyone make them... as well as me saying everybody makes 243s... neither have anything to do with the subject. So you reply is there something in the water in California ...I take that as calling me an idiot and my thinking is well to.say that he must have a 6mm... so my reply lets see your best groups cowboy... basically saying prove me wrong....

Sorry to everybody that had to read this crap....

Well I love my Ruger #1 in 6mm, I love my 22-250 in a savage custom.so nothing else will do the job (right)?
no need to get all bent out of shape.
I own many cals. love them all.

I own and shoot three 6mm's, a Rem 788, Ruger 77 and a Douglas barreled Rem 700. I have a ER Shaw barrel on the Rem 788 with a custom walnut stock, I had the Rem 700 built on an '89 originally 7-08 700 Rem action and placed it in a CDL stock. I wanted to have it built to go along with the 243 CDL I own and I also own a Ruger 77 243 to go along with my Ruger 77 6mm. I bought my first 6mm (Rem 788) in 1976 and had it rebarreled and restocked in 2000. I have always preferred the 6mm for both varmint hunting and deer hunting and I would most certainly sell my 243s before even considering rid of my 6mms.

I would always choose a 6mm over a 243 although I like both cartridges. My best groups in all three 6mms have been five shot groups of 3/8", with the best groups in my 243's coming in at 7/16" and 1/2" for five shot groups.

I feel the reason manufacturers have always produced more 243's than 6mms is twofold. One is the 243 came out with a 1 in 10 twist from the start and the 244 (6mm) was with a 1 in 12 twist. The gun writers made a big deal that the faster twist 243 would shoot the 100gr bullet much better and made a better compromise cartridge for varmints and deer sized animals than the 244. Two the 243 came out in the Model 70 good looking rifle with nice checkering and such and the 244 (6mm) came out in a fence post looking plain jane stock with no checkering. In 1963 when Rem changed the twist to 1 in 9-1/8 in the 700 the 243 had already gotten a firm hold on the 24cal market and the 6mm as Rem renamed it has never caught up in popularity or sales. The 6mm has always however been a better cartridge with about 100fps more with all bullet weights and it is a better cartridge for reloading with the longer neck and the 243 will erode throats much quicker because of the shorter neck and more sloping shoulder.

Last edited:

I was googling and stumbled across this thread. I realize its old but I had to weigh in. 6MM Remington is as sexy as they come. It is fast, powerful, and a very flat shooter. I own a Model Four, Model Seven, Model 700, and (2) Model 722's.

I have killed deer with the 244 Remington. I would take my 244 with a 90 grain BT or Accubond for deer over just about anything.

My 244 can launch 55 grain slug at about 4000 ft/sec. Excellent for fox, coyotes, bobcats... This is where the 244 shines. It is about as flat and as accurate as you can get, under .5 @ 100.

The 6MM has also killed deer and some elk. 100 grain Partition out of a 6MM will put the hurt on on an elk.

The 6MM Remington is one of the most versatile cartridges out there. You can kill small game without destroying them and large game effectively. Bullet choices from 55 grain to 115 grain depending on twist. The only caliber more versatile is the 30-06 Springfield from 110 grain to 230 grain bullets.

6MM would be King if Remington didn't screw up the branding/marketing.

My $.02.

My personal preference is this. If I were to have a 244 Rem/6mm Rem, it would have to be a classic trimmed rifle. Walnut, deep blue and a gloss scope.

Othere wise, I prefer the 243 Win or, on the horizon, a 6x47 Lapua.

Just how I would line them up, personally.

Back