fury and fox jack

deaddogwalkin

I have a couple of questions. I have had my fury for 5yrs now and had been running a jack-n-box decoy with it since last year. The batteries are the energizer 2500-2700 re-chargeable. They are no more than 2yrs old and some last year. I go through and check everyone and mark them with a date and if they don't hold a charge they get put in the kids toys. Last year I got the fox jck decoy and ran it most of the year. What I noticed is that the batteries will only last barely two 20-30min stands and then the call just shuts off. Then earlier last month I had fresh batteries in the call when I was down in Az and it was 35* out and it didn't even make it through 15min and the call shut off. The decoy kept running. When we got back to the OHV and put new batteries in. They were Duracell alkaline and they only lasted 2 stands of 25min each. Then this weekend I put a set of fresh rechargeable batteries in and they were the 2500 energizer it was 35* out and they only lasted 35 min and the call shut off in the middle of the 2nd set at the 10min mark. I don't know what is going on but the fox jack is killing my call batteries. Is there anything that I can check?
On a side note my brother has a shockwave and a fox jack and he can get 5-6 25-35min stands off a one set of Duracell alkaline batteries in the same temps as me.

Last edited:
I have brand new rechargables in my shockwave. Saturday night we called from 5pm-5:30am. Must have done at least 20 sets at 15-20 minutes each. I got home and turned it on and the battery indicator was just below full. Those decoys must be killing them big time for some reason. I have a black Jack decoy and have had the same batteries in it for two years and I use it quite a lot. Must be a short or something somewhere drawing power would be my only guess.

Try replacing the 8 cell battery holder. Get one cheap from Radio Shack. I had a similar prob.. although I didn't have the Decoy on, the call quit with fresh batteries.. I said a few explicit phrases.. lol I Got back to the truck and wiggled the batteries in my fury, and it came back to life. I replaced the 8 cell holder and the problem went away. Another thing, Make sure that you hook up the decoy right every time. Placing the connecters on the wrong way even for a moment will heat the battery pack and you will lose charge. The springs will collapse. Try a new battery holder, and things may change. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: hunterknapp16I have brand new rechargables in my shockwave. Saturday night we called from 5pm-5:30am. Must have done at least 20 sets at 15-20 minutes each. I got home and turned it on and the battery indicator was just below full. Those decoys must be killing them big time for some reason. I have a black Jack decoy and have had the same batteries in it for two years and I use it quite a lot. Must be a short or something somewhere drawing power would be my only guess.

that indicator doesn't tell you anything about the caller batteries.

YOte Y0da... I am sure that you know that if you put the FoxJack on the wrong way even for a limited time, that the voltage will spike due to reversed polarity. I have done this by accident. The caller was not hurt, but when I opened the Fury, the batteries fell out of the battery tray as if there were nothing holding them in. Thus the reason for the post to the OP. My suggestion is to get a new battery tray, and make sure that the polarity is correct when you plug in the decoy. Good luck.

You are absolutely on target with that. I hooked one up wrong one time for just a quick second and it ruined the battery tray. Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357YOte Y0da... I am sure that you know that if you put the FoxJack on the wrong way even for a limited time, that the voltage will spike due to reversed polarity. I have done this by accident. The caller was not hurt, but when I opened the Fury, the batteries fell out of the battery tray as if there were nothing holding them in. Thus the reason for the post to the OP. My suggestion is to get a new battery tray, and make sure that the polarity is correct when you plug in the decoy. Good luck.

I double checked the connections and everything was hooked up right. The decoy plug was facing the right way. I will pick up a new tray today and give it a try over the next few days. The funny thing is that the foxjack still keeps running when the call stops working. Thanks for the help.

My friend has a FurY that age. His was doing the same thing. He had to send it in to f0xpr0 to correct it. Turn around was quick and his FuRy is singing better than ever. While it was there they did a complete update on it for him.

The f0xjacK still running shows that it doesn't need a lot of juice so it's not a big drag on the batteries.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: hunterknapp16I have brand new rechargables in my shockwave. Saturday night we called from 5pm-5:30am. Must have done at least 20 sets at 15-20 minutes each. I got home and turned it on and the battery indicator was just below full. Those decoys must be killing them big time for some reason. I have a black Jack decoy and have had the same batteries in it for two years and I use it quite a lot. Must be a short or something somewhere drawing power would be my only guess.

that indicator doesn't tell you anything about the caller batteries.

I have had it since early October. I have used it countless times, including three straight nights without recharging the batteries. This was the first time the battery indicator was ever below full, but the first time I have used it for that much calling Without recharging. That is all I was getting at. There is no reason it should be going dead after 5-30min sets unless something is wrong or batteries are bad, even with a foxjack, IMO.

I have the same problem with mine, I have tried three different sets of rechargeable batteries, the worst set I have tried are the fox pro batteries I bought so I could have the right charging transformer, everytime I use with the foxjack the call stops after only a few mins, take the fox jack off and no problem, I can use the batteries for several nights before needing to switch, it is a brand new firestorm so I don't think its a problem with the battery tray, and the same effect though, the decoy works while the call shuts down even at very low volume, I am working on just hooking it to a 12volt and attaching to a spike to set out from the call and see how long a single 12v will last

Back