Groups opening way up when the barrel is fouled, 20 prac +update+

Yep, I am guilty. I partially read the post back on my original post date, and looked at the pic's today. I saw the "almost 1 hole groups at 100" and remember looking at the pics. Big difference, got a little worried, but after re-reading a little more, I see you shot under less than ideal conditions.

I feel better, except for the wait. I want it now.
smile.gif

I know of at least one barrel from BHW that does not shoot well. It is my 6x45. It has been back to the plant 3 times and same thing. Shot gun pattern at 100yds. With 8 different powders and 7 different bullets. Still sitting in the safe to be used as a pry bar when needed. But everyone else has had good luck with then.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinI know of at least one barrel from BHW that does not shoot well. It is my 6x45. It has been back to the plant 3 times and same thing. Shot gun pattern at 100yds. With 8 different powders and 7 different bullets. Still sitting in the safe to be used as a pry bar when needed. But everyone else has had good luck with then.

Who built the upper?

H335 burns dirty if you are not on the top end of the pressure curve.

You are probably dealing with a rough barrel, also.

I can't imagine how many cases of H335 my pard and I shot.

If you are worried about the bergers leaving excess copper you might try James Calhoon double HP 39 grain. They are very similar except the bergers have a boat tail I believe and the calhoon is a flat base. The calhoon are coated with a plating called slick silver similar to moly without the mess. Shot those out of a 204 with H322. That combo cleaned up very nicely.

I got it coated with Dyna Tek Bore Coat yesterday and shot it today. It seems to foul a little less so far, I'm going to keep on with the H335 as the 8208 loads were pretty slow and I don't think I have enough room left to gain 200-250 fps to catch up with the H335 load. From what I've read it takes a few shoot/clean cycles to show the full effect some times.

The rounds today were pretty much wasted as I was trying to zero it in with a new DNZ mount. Turns out the mount was machined so far off I couldn't even get groups on paper without holding off high and left. So 2 Freedom Reapers are on their way back to NC.

I'm interested to see how the coating does. My 20's aren't showing much copper even when run wide open. Ican s as y that my 204's are fed tungsten coated pills with good results but my Practical and 20 LBC aee run bare. Only a slight advantage to the coated bullets. I've shot the LBC over 200 rounds without copper issues. The bullets of choice have always been Sierra 32's & 39's.

Greg

Update, I did a fouling accuracy test this morning. I shot 9 foulers with vmax blems then shot the 3 shot group upper left with bergers. More vmax then shots 24, 25, 26 went into the clover leaf upper rt. Loaded 20 more rounds of bergers over H335 and came back out. Important to note the early conditions were dead calm, and a breeze picked up probably 7 or 8 mph headwind while I was reloading. The bottom 4 groups are all 5 shots and shot without any cooling between rounds but several minutes cooling between groups.

I did pull the first shot on the last group, bottom rt. So... what say the jury?

I can't get the pic to rotate. Largest group 1.1", honestly I didn't feel settled in as well on it but excuses excuses. Smallest was 3 shot .23" average for 6 groups .695".

Right now I am cleaning it, I don't think the bore coat is doing much either way. Will let you know after I get it clean. I will say I also coated my bull barreled 223AI with a Rem factory barrel and it didn't affect accuracy at all in a negative way so at the worst it doesn't hurt anything. I am happy that the poi doesn't seem to change as it fouls like I suspected it was doing before. All in all if I happen to get a shot at a coyote on shot #46 and I miss it won't be because the barrel was fouled lol.

After finishing cleaning it I'm honestly not sure the coating does anything at all. It might seem more slick but that's pretty subjective. It really didn't have a lot of copper in it compared to a lot of barrels I've had but definitely more than any other bhw barrel I've had. Only 1 patch was dark blue but it had some blue for quite a while.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAfter finishing cleaning it I'm honestly not sure the coating does anything at all. It might seem more slick but that's pretty subjective. It really didn't have a lot of copper in it compared to a lot of barrels I've had but definitely more than any other bhw barrel I've had. Only 1 patch was dark blue but it had some blue for quite a while.

Are you using a brass or bronze Jag and/or Brush?

No, nickel jag and nylon brush. I'd be curious how other people leave the bore after cleaning. I usually leave it dry if I'm going to shoot again soon, but I'm wondering if there is a benefit to a skim coat of oil.

Back