pet 223 loads

Is benchmark really close to Varget. I have really been in love with Varget but it meters like a cranky 2 yr old, you get a bunch of perfect throws and that one time the handle hangs up and it always screws up the current and next shell. How is it for the temperature extremes I go from target shooting in summer 80-90s to sub zero hunting?

Originally Posted By: HumpnessWhat is a pet load?

A "pet" load is a load that shoots well for someone. It is a load for a specific grain bullet using a specific amount of a specific type of powder.

Here is some testing I did in a MVP patrol rifle chambered in 5.56 1:9 twist 16.25 barrel. Load data used was all .223 published loads. Distance was 80 yards due to range lighting. The 100 yard was very dark and with the testing targets I was using it was hard to see all but the center target.

The listed load was the best load of the group in the test. The tests were in most cases an equal step between the low and max published loads. All were 5 shot groups for each step. Did the best I could to keep the barrel cool to keep the tests equal.

1. 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenades col 2.200; varget 25.5 grains 3 out of 5 .5" spread, 5 of 5 1" spread

2. 50gr Vmax col 2.200; imr 4895 25.7grains same result as Barnes for 3 of 5 outlier was about 1.25 inches overall spread 

3. 50gr Tnt Hp COL 2.210; varget 26.8grains .75" spread; 26.5grains 4 of 5 .5" spread, outlier .75" spread

4. 65 gr sierra SPBT col 2.250; varget 25.5 grains 1" spread 3 of 5 .5" spread. 

5. 65 gr sierra SPBT COL 2.250; cfe223 needs work...

The heavier bullets dropped a fair amount, more than i hoped for. I will probably work some more loads up this spring to see if things can be improved. From these tests I loaded up number 1 and 3 for varmints. The varmint grenades have always intrigued me

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgment of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't use this data, for your own safety and the safety of others.

From my 16" M&P15 VTAC II 1/8 twist 5R melonite.
60 Nosler BT 2.260",CCI BR-4, LC 09 brass, 25.2 Benchmark, 2972 fps, ES-32fps, SD-11fps
60 Hornady V Max 2.260, CCI BR-4, LC 09 brass, 24.6 Benchmark, 2900 fps, ES-20fps, SD-7fps
69 Sierra MK 2.260, CCI BR-4, LC 09 brass, 25.0 IMR8208, 2847 fps, ES-22fps, SD-8fps
69 Sierra MK 2.260, CCI BR-4, LC 09 brass, 24.1 Benchmark, 2804 fps, ES-32fps, SD-11fps
77 Sierra MK 2.260, CCI BR-4, LC 09 brass, 23.9 IMR8208, 2686fps, ES-35fps, SD-12fps

These loads were all worked up from published Hodgdon minimum loads in "my rifle" utilizing a chronograph at the range. Your rifle, and reloading components are guaranteed to be different than mine, so work up slowly and keep good records!

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgment of users of this data, neither the writer nor Predatormasters assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't use this data, for your own safety and the safety of others.

Back