what is it??

sweatybetty

my bro in law picked these up at an auction and gave them to me. from what he says, it was an estate auction of a 90+ year old man.
there are 75 rounds with 3 different head stamps: rem umc, super x, and sa corp. all are in a brass clip that holds 5 rounds, and each clip has mixed headstamps in it.
here are a few pics. the caliber is 250 savage, all the bullets are silver colored and appear to have some type of steel? tip. any ideas?

thanks all sb

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/sweatybetty1/media/DSCF1758_zps288a6046.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/sweatybetty1/media/DSCF1757_zpsb8175cb7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/sweatybetty1/media/DSCF1749_zpsb5d30f7c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

btw, does anyone know why photobucket isnt letting me post the pics instead of a link?

Last edited:
Mic the bullets. The might be 6.5mm that some one made up some type of military rounds like Ariskas or Cacarnos using Savage brass as there was no boxer primed cases for those two for many years after WW-II.

Originally Posted By: sweatybettybtw, does anyone know why photobucket isnt letting me post the pics instead of a link?

It worked for me. You just have to click on the IMG share link and it copies it, then paste it in your reply.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerIt worked for me. You just have to click on the IMG share link and it copies it, then paste it in your reply.

thats what i normally do, but it isnt working.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: AWSMic the bullets. The might be 6.5mm that some one made up some type of military rounds like Ariskas or Cacarnos using Savage brass as there was no boxer primed cases for those two for many years after WW-II.

thank you. i didnt think of taking an actual measurement, that they may be resized cases.

"The caliber is 250 savage, all the bullets are silver colored and appear to have some type of steel?"

They are nickel-copper/German silver. Early bullets used this for the jacket.

well, today i pulled the bullets (turned out to be solid lead) out of 10 of the cartridges. turns out they are a solid lead bullet with a brass "cap" on the bottom end, each weighting in a 87.4 grains. a real pita because the brass "cap" stays in the case while the bullet comes out. this take a contortionist to reach in the case with pliers to get the cap out.
grin.gif

after getting the cap out, i found 15 grains of a yellowish powder. i have looked at a couple of old reloading books and there was nothing listed with that low of a powder weight. i ended up dumping the powder out and it burned nice and bright. no way am i going to try shooting one of these rounds out of my rifle!
anyhow, here are some pics. i am still really curious about these loads, and especially the brass strip clips and the approximate age.

thanks all sb

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/sweatybetty1/media/DSCF1762_zps913418bd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/sweatybetty1/media/DSCF1761_zpsb13397fb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/sweatybetty1/media/DSCF1760_zpsfc9633e7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Originally Posted By: sweatybettywell, today i pulled the bullets (turned out to be solid lead) out of 10 of the cartridges. turns out they are a solid lead bullet with a brass "cap" on the bottom end, each weighting in a 87.4 grains. a real pita because the brass "cap" stays in the case while the bullet comes out. this take a contortionist to reach in the case with pliers to get the cap out.
grin.gif

after getting the cap out, i found 15 grains of a yellowish powder

That "cap" is almost certainly a gas check. Something that even some factory ammo had once upon a time. But this sure looks like a these were cast by someone (the loader most likely) and the gas checks were crimped on when the bullets were sized and lubed. Because there is only 15 grains of powder I am almost certain that this was a plinking or small game load of some sort. Pretty dang sure of it too.

They might be a light load for a young shooter so that they don't become afraid of recoil. That is what I did with my youngest once he got used to the noise and recoil I slowly increased the powder until eventually he was shooting full power loads.

with only 15 grains of powder, it is only about half the weight of any of the loads in any of my books. wouldnt there be a chance of a bullet getting stuck in the barrel?
what do the gas checks do? are they to keep the lead from melting or just to seal the bullet to the barrel. i would like to use them if i can.
thanks guys sb

Gas Checks are to protect the base of the bullet from softening from the charge and causing the barrel to lead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sweatybettywith only 15 grains of powder, it is only about half the weight of any of the loads in any of my books. wouldnt there be a chance of a bullet getting stuck in the barrel?
what do the gas checks do? are they to keep the lead from melting or just to seal the bullet to the barrel. i would like to use them if i can.
thanks guys sb

Based on the light load, probably loaded with a fast powder (such as Unique, which works well for reduced loads in rifles )for reduced velocities. Don't know why they would have used a gas check for low velocity, however. Gas checks are normally used in order to be able to drive lead bullets faster than possible w/solid lead bullet.

As for the brass stripper clips, I'd bet they are old US GI stripper clips made for use in the 1903 Springfield. Years ago I picked up a batch of early 1940's vintage 30-06 ammo that came in brass clips. Later versions were parkerized steel.

Regards,
hm

thanks to all of you!

i ended up pulling all the bullets and gas checks out, depriming, annealing and resizing the brass. maybe 10 of the cases had necks with multiple cracks. they are in the tumbler right now then i will go back through them to check the necks again. i think i may have ended up getting screwed on this deal
mad.gif

anyhow, i hope to use the bullets for target practice. do i load them just any other bullet? ive never used solid lead bullets before.
thanks all sb

Back