Sightron MOA-2 reticle

Does not have to be mil dot just something in there for reference so when I miss I don't have to re guess my first guess that missed. Some kind of reference marks that are evenly spaced as long as I know what the spacing's are.
I have in the past done very good work with just a duplex reticle. I sight them in to zero at 100 yards using the top of the duplex. With that sight setting most 3x9 or so type scopes will have the cross hair hitting about 4" high at 100 yards and the bottom duplex at about 8" high. Running those numbers with the plotted trajectory of my bullet has worked well but is still rather course for increments. Also that only works at the higher power setting as when you go down in power the spacing's get wider. I went through the trouble to determine what range each power change would be on at but the problem with that is that the longer ranges are at the lowest power settings just opposite of what is needed. Just using the higher power setting with the three aiming points in a duplex reticle has produced fur for me but I don't want to limit myself that much. That was OK 25 years ago but no longer seems adequate.

With your budget in mind, I'd probably go back to basics and start with a scope you can build on. I see midway has a sale on the VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS right now for 439.00 bucks which is a great buy for that scope right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/472044/...=ProductFinding

The CDS turret on the scope is in MOA from Leupold. You get a coupon for another CDS dial in the box (freebie) I'd probably have them send me a MOA dial for the windage. The dials are nice because they are like a turret but are low profile and don't stick way up high. The scope has positive clicks and it will return to zero without issue. It doesn't have a mildot or reference reticle of any sort but its something you can change in the future if you like. Leupold doesn't charge a lot of money to make easy changes to reticles, turrets etc. If your rarely taking a shot over 600 yards, your not going to be using a whole lot of internal adjustment, especially with a 6x284. This scope would serve you well on a rifle that's more of a hunter than long range target shooter.

I would work on your data too. Just because a computer program says your drop is X at 500 yards doesn't always mean its so. One thing that a lot of people don't bother doing is to actually shoot at those ranges on big paper targets to see where your hitting. Your dope charts off the computer will be close but could be a couple clicks one way or another. You have to adjust to what it actually shoots in the field then rebuild your charts to match the real life results.

That looks good! I like the custom dial system. I guess if there's no time to dial I could use the bottom duplex as a reference. The beefed up dual spring adjustment system sounds good too, sounds positive. Now I just need to wait for the right moment when the funding is available.
I may have to sell a gun or two to finance a new scope.
I guess the custom dial is only good for one revolution of the turret so what ever range that maxes at is what the system is good for. I didn't notice how many minutes one revolution of the turret was. In my 6x284 right now I am shooting the Sierra 70 BTHP at a tad over 3900 average is 3920 fps. I wonder how far out the one revolution of adjustment would get me with that load?

Well the one I have in my hands right now shows 15 MOA per revolution on the dial. You could go more than one rev provided you count higher without taking your shoes off! LOL

A quick run on the JBM site says 15 MOA should get you out around 750 or there abouts. If it were me in that rifle though.... the lightest bullet I would shoot would be the 87gr V-Max. For long range work it would be the 95-105's mostly for their ability to buck the wind.

What twist is in your rifle?

Your 70 grain bullet going that fast is around 10.5 moa at 650 yrds according to shooter app. But thats only putting in the bullet and velocity.

Originally Posted By: bullshopTwist is 1/7" It shoots the 107 VLD at 3100+ fps and has shot 100 yard groups in the .3's

If its that good, that's what you should be shooting all the time.

Trajectory is the problem with that. Most often when I see a coyote on the near side of 400 yards things are moving along pretty quick and I don't have time to range them. That's where the flat trajectory of the 70gn/3900fps has good effect where zeroed for max PBR it takes out the guess work.
For shots on the far side of 400 yards I most often do have time to range them and then can use the higher BC bullet 107vld/3100fps to good effect. This works good if both loads are reasonably close to the same POI at 100 yards. I put two range cards on the stock of my rifle one on each side of the stock.
Its kind of a toss up of misses if I stay with just one load. With the heavier bullet on shots under about 500 yards I seem to be forever shooting just over the top due to miss judging the range and on attempted long shots the wind combined with human error seem to stack against me using the lighter bullet load.

Back