6mm ackley dies

jeremiah1757

I am picking up a 6mm rem ackley in trade and was looking for die options. Found some redding dies listed at midway but that was all. Is redding the only game in town or am I missing something?

Redding is most likely going to be the only off the shelf option. I believe RCBS offers the 6mm AI as a custom dies, and I know C4HD does.

I like Redding for a standard die set. I have not yet delved into the world of bushing dies, but plan to soon. These, too, will be Redding.

I use redding bushing dies.

They're so easy to use and they are good dies

Drop your bushing in and size your necks and you're ready to go

I use a .244 bushing in mine but you may use one a little bigger because my gun is tight necked so I have to turn my brass down

Originally Posted By: CTanMI use a .244 bushing in mine but you may use one a little bigger...

Definitely want to use one a little bigger
laugh.gif

A typo, I'm sure.

I used a Type S neck die, comp seater and a body die for mine. Mine had a .272 neck, loaded o.d. of .2705 and I used a .269 bushing.

- DAA

I like wilson dies, they are great to use for loading at the range and they aren't too bad loading with otherwise. a 6mm ackley probably isn't intended to be a high volume shooter so the wilson dies aren't a bad choice. I use a redding body die to bump the shoulders back when they need it. They make the straightest ammo I have ever seen. but then again I have never had neck turned cases and tried the redding dies. further I would say this I am not a believer in using bushing dies UNLESS you are also neck turning the cases. thats just me though.

What is everyone's opinion on FL sizing vs neck sizing for the 6mm ai. The gentleman that I am getting the rifle from suggested that I just FL size. I see redding sells 2die and 3die sets. 2die being a FL sizer and seater and 3die being FL sizer,neck sizer, and seater.

I see redding offers two types of FL sizing dies. Standard FL sizer and a type s FL bushing sizing die. My question is for a hunting rifle will I notice a great deal of diffence in accuracy by going with the bushing die vs the standard FL sizer. Also is the comp seater die worth the extra money. As with the bushing dies I have no experience with a comp seater. I have only ever purchased standard 2 die sets from either hornady or rcbs. As this is my first wildcat cal I want to do it right the first time but i am a hunter not a competition shooter.

Originally Posted By: jeremiah1757 My question is for a hunting rifle will I notice a great deal of diffence in accuracy by going with the bushing die vs the standard FL sizer.

A "great deal of accuracy"? No. No difference, if you know how to setup a sizing die properly. Especially if you aren't neck turning. I apologize if you've already said and I missed it, but if your new 6AI has a tight neck, and you ARE neck turning, you might not have any choice in the matter though - you may need a bushing die.

Originally Posted By: jeremiah1757 Also is the comp seater die worth the extra money.

Worth the money... That's your call. If you are going to settle on one bullet and "set it and forget it", and can set up a seating die properly, the comp die probably isn't going to be worth the money to you. Then again, it might be? It's your money, no way anyone else can tell you if the features of the comp die are worth the extra cost, to you, or not. They are to me. But my whole approach to dies and reloading is main lined to accuracy and convenience. Not cost.

- DAA

DAA thanks for your comments. Very sound advice. At this time I do not plan to neck turn and the rifle doesn't have a tight neck. I have decided to get the 2die set that includes the FL bushing die and comp seater. It was never really a mater of spending money just getting other peoples thoughts and experiences. I am getting the bushing dies because if I do not like the win/rem brass I may use 7x57 brass and neck down in two steps. I would then need to get familiar with neck turning. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Back