Savage axis 243 what ammo for coyotes?

I had a hard time finding the Hornady 58gr. I ended up with a couple of boxes of Winchester 58gr Varmint X. So far I've only hit paper and one coyote with it so I'm undecided just yet on how much I like it.

I have a model 11 and using at the moment Remington 80gr. plhp. I am shooting out to 250 yds. with no worries. Not always fur friendly. Have not tried farther. I don't reload and 243 around here has been extremely hard to find. I did find some Hornady 58 gr V-max which I have not tried yet. I still have a bunch of 80's that I have not missed with so I will probably stick with them for a while. Good Luck

Last edited:
The 58 grain Hornadys usually shoot good in the 243 but I like a heavier bullets, 70-85 grainers. If I am going to shoot the light ones I might as well take my 22-250. But, that is the nice thing about the .243 you can shoot heavier or light bullets.

Find the factory amo the gun shoots the best and go have fun. Any factory amo in .243 is going to do the trick.

I also like heavier bullets in a 243. Some favorites are 70grn TNT, 80grn Sierra Varminter and 85grn Sierra BTHP. However, I load 58grn V-Max bullets for a friend and he is a huge fan of them. Factory ammo would be excellent.

Standard Federal 100 gr SP will do the job as well. They seem to group best out of my Wife's Axis. There's no need to reload for it when those are shooting as well as they do. I'd Give them a try. Also they don't cause very much pelt damage in my experience.

My sons Axis doesn't really shoot the lighter grains well. Spot on with 80 grain or heavier. I think you should see whatever it likes and go with that. His is best with 95 grain superformance. Shoots a really tight little 5 shot group with those.

My .243 shoots hornady 58 grain Superformance lights out but is very hard on fur...cuts foxes in half and baseball size exits on yotes. I experimented and found federal 70 grain nose ballistic tips to be accurate and alot easier on fur ....they also despite having smaller or no exits I would get more bang-flops than I did with the hornadys......but the hornadys are the most accurate factory round I have shot.....on a side note I shots some hornady Superformance tsx....and I couldn't hit a paper plate 2x @100yds....shot horrible

check out Winchester 58 gr varmint x they are shooting 3850 fps. I have a savage trophy predator brought it out the other day I am shooting 1/2 inch groups with only 10 rounds on the barrel not even broke in.

another vote for Win VarmintX 58 gr, its the best hunting factory load in my A-bolt for accuracy, so far.
Factory match rounds do a little better on paper, and I'm working up a Hdy VMAX 87 gr hand-load with Varget,
that should shoot as accurate as the Win VarmintX from my A-bolt.
Local Wallymart has a bunch of them for 26 bucks and change a box.
Nice thing about the 3850 fps is minimal drop out to 250 yards.
Here's a recent 4 shot group from the A-bolt.
159007656.YALZTOzv.jpg

I have a Stevens 200 in .243. The 58 grn Superformance is very, very accurate. However, I have heard of them practically destroying coyotes. I've read that heavier bullets like 70s and 87s leave quarter size exit holes.

Back