Adding chemicals to tumbling media

I have found that after depriming my brass, letting them soak in vinegar, then soak them in soapy water(use soap without ammonium), then put them in the walnut media then corn husk media makes them shiny new when done correctly.

Heres a link to a how to video.

I tried the flitz before but it caked up, maybe the mineral spirits will help I will try it. I picked up some Lyman Turbo brite and have been really impressed with what it does. I think it did a better job than the flitz with less tumbling time. I have no idea how many rounds have been through the same batch of media but it seems to be lasting longer. Than before I used it.

Mineral spirits will help to make the brass more water resistant.
thumbup1.gif
of course its brass so the advantage is moot lol

I have a hard time too. I use the Lizzard Bedding walnut media and NuFinish and I'm still not impressed. I have some dark brass that comes out clean, but still dark???...even after 12+ hours.

Dogger i have never been able to get turned brass (brown) back to the shiny color it used to be even tried hand polishing with every type of thing

Originally Posted By: nyquackDogger i have never been able to get turned brass (brown) back to the shiny color it used to be even tried hand polishing with every type of thing

Try Bar Keepers Friend and a couple drops of dawn in either a wet tumbler or sonic cleaner. Have yet to find a piece of brass not get shiny.

Back