Difference between Savage Axis II and Model 10fxp?

zeke32

I'm lookin at these two guns at Wal-Mart. The model 10fxp is $467 and the Axis II is $387. The Axis II also has the accu trigger. I was just hoping someone can tell me the differences between the two and if the extra $80 for the model 10 worth it?

Last edited:
The model 10 will have a recoil lug on the barrel, the Axis will have it built into the stock. The Axis is built off a long action, the model 10 a short action I believe. Better magazine in the model 10 I think.

I personally would pay the extra for the model 10 but I do have and Axis XP that I traded for which shoots 3/4" or better with factory ammo so I have no complaints about it really.

I think the mags are the same. But they have a different bottom plate on them. The 10 might have the accustock not sure so that would be better. The axis I had was a good shooter, so is my ten. Biggest problem with buying the axis is they seem to shoot so well you can't really justify buying a "better" gun afterwards.

Originally Posted By: DoubletapIt's just a matter of whether you want to shoot good groups with a 400.00 gun or a 500.00 gun

I guess if that were true we would all be driving Yugo's.

zeke32, how bad do you need /want either of these guns? have you looked anywhere else? Personally I have fun looking/hunting for a gun. Ever looked at preowned but not used much with a discounted price? if you can wait and don't need/want it to badly look ..just a thought...have fun.

Dog driller, I my self quite enjoy searching the gun classifieds web sites, and I do regularly. I have nothing against pre owned firearms....as long as they've been cared for. I currently have a lower end ar that i hunt with and was thinking about doing some upgrades to it. Such as a cmc trigger ( current trigger is horrible) and a better optic (current optic is the Sig prismatic scope that comes with m400s). The gun as is gets the job done. So i figured instead of modifying it i might just use the money for a larger caliber bolt action in .243 or .308. Don't really need it just want it.

I find many attributes of the model 10 favorable to the Axis. There is nothing wrong with the Axis from an entry level view point. But the model 10 will have better longevity and resale of it ever came to that. They are a bit more refined and fit and finish is better.

I'd easily justify a model 10 over the Axis, personally.

I can't speak about the model 10....but have model 11 in pre accu-trigger in 243....great gun I love it. picked it up preowned with simmons scope...not great but serviceable......did not pay retail....not even a box of shells through it...with all paperwork and accessories. All they wanted to do was move it. did a little trigger adjustment myself and works great.

Back