Lead Sled experiences, please?

I just used a LeadSled DFT today at our indoor range with my 444 Marlin, and it will really suck up the recoil from any gun. I use it to setup my all my rifles in the tunnel, than when I miss I have no one to blame but me.

Brake it my man, brake it!! I will not waste my time with any rifle or woman that punishes me. Life is just too short. Take this advice and most any rest will suffice.

Originally Posted By: GaryOAs I approach 70 years of age, I find myself becoming more and more sensitive to recoil. Even the moderate calibers like the 7-08 beat on me to the point where range sessions these days are limited to about a dozen shots.

Originally Posted By: drscottI use one for load development and initial sight in. I to have seen a change in point of impact when I go to my bipod or sticks so I always check it. I don't feel like I get a true sight picture when using the sled so maybe for me it is a parallax issue, not sure but I learned the hard way to check my guns.

drscott

I have also experienced POI shift Lead Sled to bags or off of sticks, a bipod or tripod.

I attribute the shift to the lead Sled not allowing the rifle to move in recoil as it would even off of bags, but I have wondered if the shift might be attributable to parallax as well.

I haven't tried a Lead Sled with light recoiling rifles like a 223 or 243, only heavier calibers. In the end I found I could shoot off of a proper bag set up as well as using the Lead Sled and I'm not particularly recoil shy, so gave up on the Lead Sled and all of the humping of extra crap just to sight in or test a load.

BTW, for sighting in or for testing loads with big boomers, like 458wm, a standing height bench allows shooting almost as well as a sitting bench but because you are standing you absorb the recoil at the waist and felt or perceived recoil is greatly reduced compared to sitting. I am sure this would apply to all cartridges, but the only rifle I own which has recoil sufficient to make me go to the trouble of a standing bench is 458wm. For 458wm class recoil you need to hold the forearm and rest your hand on the front bags to avoid either a bloody nose or Weatherby eye - and this applies to a sitting bench as well. Also, FWIW, if confined to a sitting bench, the higher you can set up the bags and the straighter you can sit the less perceived or felt recoil you will experience.

JPK

Last edited:
The Lead Sled definitely reduces recoil. The first time I used it to verify zero on my 12 gauge slug gun it snapped the horizontal crosshair of my scope. The scope was a vintage Traditional Redfield 4x post with horizontal crosshair. It could have been the scopes age and time, or it could have been the Lead Sled. I shot many slugs using this scope off bags and never had a problem. I love this scope for deer hunting and only have one left. I suggest not using an old or cheap scope on a Lead Sled.

I use one for working loads on heavy (450 Dakota, 416 Weatherby) rifles. I don't add any weight to it as the sled has some weight to it. I have also heard of stocks cracking if they can't move some. It helps quite a bit even without added weight. I didn't care for the front bag that came on it and swapped it out with an all leather one.

I have lead sled plus and use it when shooting my 300 RUM and it works great, I have occasionally had an issue with it being too tall but it doesn't happen often.

I borrowed a Lead Sled Solo from a friend when I bought my last rifle to sight it in. I've seen the Primos Group Therapy on line and kinda like it. I also like the versatility of being able to just use the front part of the rest.

I have tried multiple times to use one. I just do not see how anyone can get any resemblance of proper form or cheek weld. A bipod and bags is all that I have ever needed to shoot accurately. This includes load development. I have a rifle being put together now that will use a front BR style rest. The first I have done that in some time.

If I had a rifle that I could not comfortable handle due to injury or any other reason, I'd fix the problem with a Brake or a Can. I enjoy shooting my rifles, not pulling the trigger on an object secured to a mechanical device. JMO....

Like them or not, and need them or not, they DO help to eliminate the human error during load development. I don't expect to shoot the same when under field conditions and know my limitations in that category. We use the Sled when developing loads and otherwise we're shooting off a bipod or bags to simulate hunting conditions.

I guess you overlooked the 'JMO' at the end of my post. They're not for everyone. The OP asked opinions and experience and I shared mine.

I mean, if they were more stable than a good bipod and bags, then I'd use em. But they are not as stable, too bulky to lug to the bench, just no advantage in my eyes. Different strokes, I guess.

The truth is that they are much more stable than shooting off bags. They are best used to do load tests on new bullets etc.

They allow you to find out what a rifle is capable of when you take out much of the human error.

I would not have said any more on this but I do want to make sure that people know that they do secure the rifle and make a more steady platform than just shooting off bean bags.

I do agree that they are cumbersome, heavy and difficult to drag to the range. And getting a good cheek weld is harder as they raise the rifle up pretty high. But it's possible to get a good cheek weld if you sit on a higher chair or use padding to elevate the seat up.

One is not going to take these out in the field so you need to practice shooting off shooting sticks or other devices that are being used in the field.

Good grief.

Harmonics are changed when using the DS.

The DS does not 'absorb or soak up the recoil" but rather transfers much of the recoil directly to the rifle. For those that went to high skool ..... "every reaction has an opposite and equal reaction".

How can you possibly deploy proper shooting form when using the DL?

Learn to use sandbags properly and quit trying to cheat by using 'technology'.

Last edited:
If the OP is asking for personal experiences, then mine is I don't like them

I have one and my experience is that I would rather be in the bottom of the Grand Canyon with a broke leg in July than to use one.

But hey, that's just me

I do not find them more stable than a good bipod and bags. This is why everyone uses straps and whatnot to stabilize them.

I simply shoot better that way versus a sled. And shooting a test load doesn't really benefit you since human error is always present when shooting. I test the rifle just fine off of bipod and bags. But, to each their own.

One thing is for sure, you do not get proper form in a lead sled. It is literally impossible since there is a cap on the end that holds the butt of the rifle. So, no you can not get 'proper' form. Maybe some sort of acceptable form, but not proper.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I guess you overlooked the 'JMO' at the end of my post. They're not for everyone. The OP asked opinions and experience and I shared mine.

I mean, if they were more stable than a good bipod and bags, then I'd use em. But they are not as stable, too bulky to lug to the bench, just no advantage in my eyes. Different strokes, I guess.

Well to start with I was doing the same thing as you ... sharing my opinion. What makes you think that I was talking to you in the first place? Calm the [beeep] down.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: pahntr760I guess you overlooked the 'JMO' at the end of my post. They're not for everyone. The OP asked opinions and experience and I shared mine.

Well to start with I was doing the same thing as you ... sharing my opinion. What makes you think that I was talking to you in the first place? Calm the [beeep] down.

Arrogance prick VS post count (sometimes prick), who to rout for?

NEITHER.

Originally Posted By: fair_chaseOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: pahntr760I guess you overlooked the 'JMO' at the end of my post. They're not for everyone. The OP asked opinions and experience and I shared mine.

Arrogance prick VS post count (sometimes prick), who to rout for?

NEITHER.

w00t.gif
that should get the thread locked up.
lol.gif

Back