savage 93r17

Adam4334

picked up a savage model 93 in 17 hmr yesterday afternoon. $299.99 from dicks sporting goods. green synthetic stock, 21" blued fluted bull barrel, bushnell 3x9x40 scope. the rifle has a short pull imo, seems awkward while standing but quiet comfortable while sitting. its not a pretty rifle by any means. its a user. the action is a bit rough compared to my model 110. if you cycle with a purpose you wont hardly notice it and after a box of shells it smoothed out a little. it has the accu-trigger, which i have fallen in love with. every shot is a surprise. the safty is mounted in an odd location that is a little difficult to get too. the safety is alot louder than id prefer to have on a hunting rifle but if you shift it slowly and control its position on the way to fire, it gets quiet. the magazine rides on a metal tab guiding it up into the rifle. to me its somewhat difficult to line up. i havent been able to shoot it out at 100 yds yet but at 50yds, im hitting pocket change. i was shooting remington 17 gr ammo out of it. im no ammo expert or anything but out of a 35 rounds i didnt have the first misfire.(this is my first 17hmr. my only rimfire experience with with 22lr, and it seems like 30-40% of them misfire on me)

rifletruck_zps28d1r4q7.jpg
my bench and rest lol

shells_zpsnvsbrnry.jpg
ammo ( only brand i could find, but postive results)

target_zps6umd0x4r.jpg
first 5 round group straight out of the box

riflechange_zps11j4ibse.jpg
pocket change at 50yds

rifle_zps5laocgmc.jpg
reusable camo wrap. not the best but it kind of works, i found it easier to mover around carrying the rifle muzzle down with the sling upside down.

riflecamo_zpsghprczrt.jpg
camo netting

They are nice little rifles for small critters and plinking for sure. I had one with the wood stock/heavy barrel and would generally hit anything I was aiming at out to 100 yards. I ended up trading it for a brand new Savage Axis XP in .223 that a guy won at a banquet and for some reason he wanted a 17 HMR in a bad way.

Now you need to go out and get some first blood with it, and include pics.
wink.gif

It will get kind of pricy if you just keep shooting money!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Adam4334 my only rimfire experience with with 22lr, and it seems like 30-40% of them misfire on me

You either need to change ammo or you have a gun issue. I dont have misfires even 1% of the time with any of my 22 LR guns.

I picked one up over Christmas with the standard weight barrel. The bushnell scope was bad and they have it right now for repair but other than that I like the rifle This one here likes the 20 grain xtp or cci sp over any the 17grain ammo
J

I have the BRJ model. It's got the Boyd's state co and a spiral fluted barrel. I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it to rid me of the accu-thingy. Shoots the CCI brand 17 gr VMax quite well.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: Adam4334 my only rimfire experience with with 22lr, and it seems like 30-40% of them misfire on me

You either need to change ammo or you have a gun issue. I dont have misfires even 1% of the time with any of my 22 LR guns.
Reb8600 is right, that many misfires is an issue that really shouldn't happen. Feeding issues maybe, but not that many FTFs. Could just be a weak hammer spring.

Last edited:
The 17's do tend to be a bit finicky with ammunition. I've had a Savage .17 HMR for a few years and, like Tomcat, mine is deadly with 20 gr xtp's but groups open up with 17 gr. Most guys that I know find their guns prefer one gr load or the other and often even a specific brand like Hornady. I've never, ever, had a problem with a misfire or any other issue with the rifle. I did replace the Tupperware stock with a wood thumb hole.

I have a 93R17 and love shooting it. It really likes the Hornady 17gr vmax. I have killed many squirrels and groundhogs with it. I have even killed 2 coyotes while groundhog hunting. It isn't ideal for big predators, but is a great varmit gun.

Yea I'm excited about this rifle, we are going out Saturday,trying our luck on bobcat. Hopefully the stars align for me. I've been out of luck finding the remington rounds around town, I just walked out of one store a i the Hornady vmax in 17gr, I've heard really good things about them. Maybe they'll shoot close to what I have it sighted in with. As for the 22lr, the rifle cycles perfect with cci, the ammo I was shooting might have been a bit aged, I'm thinking that bc I have duds in other firearms with that ammo as well. I just can't stand to think of throwing it away.

I had a 93 btvs in 22 mag same misfire issues. Cleaned the bolt same problems. Was happening with win, cci and rem ammo. Ended up returning the gun.

Maybe it's 5he 22 mag version? I read a pretty bad review on it 10 min after I bought the 17 lol I was slightly nervous about the 17 unti I shot it

Originally Posted By: Adam4334Maybe it's 5he 22 mag version? I read a pretty bad review on it 10 min after I bought the 17 lol I was slightly nervous about the 17 unti I shot it

Must be. I've had 1000 rounds down the tube and not one FTF.

Adam, I think your gun looks good and accurate! My experience with the 17 HMR hasn't been so positive. I've had A LOT of misfires with my 93R17 using ammo from multiple manufacturers. I recently sent the 7 boxes of ammo I purchased for a pdog hunt back to the manufacturer and I'm getting rid of my Savage as well. I'm bummed because I really like the 17 HMR round...

Doc25, I PM'd you because I'm curious how Savage took care of you when you returned your rifle.

Ive got a 93 also.Very happy with it. Never a misfire, mine likes hornady 17gr vmax. Deadly out to 100 yards. Fun gun to shoot, even just plinking.

Back