Electronic Powder scale/ Dispenser?

TaterTot

I'm looking to possibly purchase an electronic powder dispenser and scale combo when I get taxes back this year. I am just curious as to what everyone is using as well as looking for opinions.

I am currently looking at the Hornady and RCBS combos, as they seem to be the most common. Are there any others that I should consider?

The RCBS is, by all accounts, the best one on the market. I took a risk, and bought a Hornady two years ago. So far I have been very satisfied.

The OP is right, RCBS is the top of the line. However, they are made by a company in Texas called PACT. I shopped around and got my PACT for about $180 which is about $100 less than RCBS. Same excellent quality and warranty , just grey instead of green. I got mine from Graff. Also Hornady and the others are made in china.

Last edited:
Also when I bought mine several years ago it was close to $300 or a little more for the dispenser and scales. IMO, Some of the best money I've ever spent..

Thanks for the responses. I have read enough to know that the RCBS is probably the most highly regarded combo. I had not heard of Pact before today. That will give me something else to look at.

I also have the RCBS combo and it works very well. I did have a problem when the system started to trickle powder but that was fixed by extending the discharge tube.

RCBS Chargemaster

I've only had it for a month or so and have only loaded about 200 or so rounds with it, but so far it seems like the best $235 (waited for a sale + the $50 rebate) I've ever spent on reloading equipment.

I've been looking at buying one myself. From what I've read the RCBS use to be made by Pact but now it's made in China and only warranty is on electronics. Pact is made in Texas with lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: wily yoteI've been looking at buying one myself. From what I've read the RCBS use to be made by Pact but now it's made in China and only warranty is on electronics. Pact is made in Texas with lifetime warranty.

You are correct. At one time RCBS & Dillon were made by them. Not now. I ghe ave scale and the scale/dispenser. I have used them for years. Checked ags inzt my beam balance they are all three right on.

Greg

I have a Lyman DPS 2, YEH YEH YEH I know its a few yrs old BUT it is very accurate for my needs, when I reload I always check against my beam scale roughly every 7th to 10th charge and it is right on the money. That scale/dispenser has served me well.

not sure if you have a scheels sports anywhere around you but I use a scheels powder charger 1500 and its been a real good unit. $100 cheaper than rcbs and they have a lifetime warranty on anything with the scheels name. I heard they have pact make them but I have not been able to confirm or deny it.

I have a Cabelas and a couple Sportsmans Warehouses by me, so I will likely pick one up in store. I am impatient when it comes to ordering online, so I like to walk out of the store with my purchase, lol!

I have seen both the Hornady and the RCBS in stock, so I just need to make the decision on how much $$ I want to lose!

I used the hornady for about 5yrs and it worked good but this past fall I got the rcbs. The rcbs to me is a better machine,it's faster and a lot less over throws. With the hornady I also had a problem hearing the buzzer when a charge was complete,rcbs has a little bit louder buzzer. The color also matches the rest of my stuff.

Originally Posted By: TaterTotI have a Cabelas and a couple Sportsmans Warehouses by me, so I will likely pick one up in store. I am impatient when it comes to ordering online, so I like to walk out of the store with my purchase, lol!

I have seen both the Hornady and the RCBS in stock, so I just need to make the decision on how much $$ I want to lose!

See if they can beat this price ..... Natchez SS - RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Combo - $289.99

And then if you buy another $10.01 worth of RCBS products at the same time you can send in for the $50 RCBS rebate that's available.
wink.gif

I have a Lyman Gen6 small footprint scale/dispenser and it works well for my purposes. I didn't/don't like the large size of the powder reservoir so I built a smaller custom one. At any rate for my small volume of reloading it works fine- I am a hunter and rarely reload over 20-25 rifle rounds per session.

Ive had Pact for almost 8 years. First i bought a RCBS (green) made by pact in Texas. Later found out could send it back to Pact for an upgrade to faster gearing. Got a brand new (grey) Pact back. Was delighted to receive it. I use it often. Not unhappy with I bought another one, bought it from Pact itself. Nice thing is people who you talk to on the phone are shooters just like you and me. Like when i call Carlson Choke, those people shoot just as we do.
Pact is made in Texas by Texans.

good to hear about pact, never heard of them. always like to know about the smaller companies. their quality is usually better, not to mention CS.
something i can save for now...

I have owned both RCBS and Hornady. I sent the Hornady back to them. I couldn't get it to throw consistently. I've had the RCBS since Christmas and have charged about 200 rounds of .223 with it, checking every round against my balance beam. I have to say that so far I'm impressed. It's never been more than a tenth of a gram low, and has never been high. I would definitely recommend the RCBS.

Back