Drilling out match HPs to get better expansion: does it work?

Originally Posted By: CZ527

Smaller bullets with less energy are probably more likely to tumble upon entry, this greatly upping the damaged area and likely causing fatal wounds to the target. (Ex: 52 gr)

A larger bullet, like say the 243 95 gr, or 80.5 grain .224 bullet, is a more streamlined projectile. When shooting them out of a 243 or 22-250 ai (as in my experience) they are hitting with a heap more energy and are likely passing through in a direct line, causing less damage.

So, in short, little bullets may be tumbling, giving you good results. Heck, they may even be shattering on bone... I don't know how they are working but of you say they are then so be it.

As for the long for caliber bullets, which I have experience with, I am certain they are passing directly through when impacting at high velocity, which explains why my exit holes were indistinguishable from entrance holes.

I dont think they are tumbling but they do fragment quite well. As for larger caliber, they work too. I am using and know quite a few others that are using the Hornady 162 gr Match BTHP in our 7mm's for hunting big game. We have not lost an animal yet and I dont recall anyone in my hunting group ever having to track an animal that was shot with one. This includes elk. I talked to a member yesterday that told my he shot a rock chuck at 900 yds with I believe it was a 300 ultra mag. He said it blew it apart using a Berger VLD bullet. Sounds like the bullet worked fine.

Keep in mind that Berger is selling match grade bullets as hunting bullets. Why would they say dont use match bullets for hunting? I believe what they tell you is that a "Target" bullet is not recommended.

Ok, I have shot a lot of Sierra 53g HP on coyotes, they do work great at 3450-3600 fps. However, you initial thinking that their expansion on all varmints was correct. The Sierra 52 and 53g HP do not expand well at all on P. dogs even at 22/250 and 220 swift velocities, we learned that lesson the hard way. The last batch of 53's I had, I shot up in an HBAR on a P. Dog town and they did open up reliably in that 7" twist, however.

If you want to see the bullet open up more, then I would suggest that you go over to the accurateshooter.com and do some research on a Meplat uniformer. This will allow you to cut back the length of the tip of the bullet and open up the HP to what ever size you like!!! You can shoot the sierra Match bullet with a BIG HP like is on the Speer 52g HP if you so desire or larger. I actually made 6mm benchrest bullets for a while and experimented with pointing up bullets with different size hollow points. My purpose for the larger HP was to blow up ground squirrels and p. dog better, which it did. The large HP would simply make a ground squirrel disappear on bullet impact, the squirrel was there one minute, gone the next. The squirrel was blown so far, so fast it was hard to see! So, any of you want to play with this, the meplat uniformer tool would go a long way.

I still have a bunch of 6mm 65's with large HP and they do not go through coyotes if anyone wants some I could work out a bullet trade of some kind.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Match grade bullets work great. I have never had an issue with them. I think the stories about them come from people that dont use them. HP bullets dont just expand, they fragment.
Different brands will vary. Personal experience with a 308 155gr Sierra SMK on groundhogs here in Pa., small hole in small hole out. Several crawl offs. Now with Hornady A-max, good results. When it comes to comparing bullets, loads, ballistics, you have to be specific. Results with one bullet, can be much different than the results of a comparable bullet from a different manufacturer. Best advise, use bullets for their intended purpose.

I shoot 52 match kings out of my 220 swift and they expand just fine

I can't imagine sitting around drilling out the holes in my bullets

And there are a lot of hunting bullets that shoot as good as match bullets in my opinion, I'd shoot one of those instead

reb8600,

I have figured you out as someone who does not listen, but rather just waits on their turn to speak. Your reply was completely irrelevant, as Berger does not make the Hornady 162. Hornady does....obviously.

I also wrote at great length on the difference between their bullets, and explained it quite well. If you take the time to go back and read it... I have already explained "match" vs "match grade varmint" etc.

And furthermore, I offered nothing but positives about other manufacturers match bullets. Never commented negatively on any manufacturer other than berger's match bullets. I'm not sure how this got misconstrued.

Done discussing this.

Thanks

Last edited:
Odd I never got that from Reb8600 posts. I'm not sure how this got misconstrued.

I've killed lots of coyotes with match bullets. I love them. Oh yeah the mfg does not recommend them for coyotes. The coyotes and the bullets missed the memo I guess.

Last edited:
Back when all I had was a 22-250 for coyotes I shot nothing but hornady 52 gr match hollowpoint boatails and it was very effective on coyotes!!

Originally Posted By: CZ527

If you call Berger up, they will tell you "do not use our match bullets for hunting."

Actually I think I understand that quite well and told you that is not what Berger says. Maybe you should read their explanation. I know the 7mm bullet I mentioned is a Hornady, I said that and never said that Berger made it. I use Berger in some of my other calibers. Guess what, same result. You keep saying that "MATCH" bullets are not for hunting.

From Bergers web site
Quote:▶ Can I use my Target bullets for Hunting?
We do not recommend that you use Target bullets for hunting. The wound channel with a Target bullet is narrow compared to the wound channel of a Hunting bullet. The wider wound channel produced by the Hunting bullet is more likely to impact vital organs if the shot placement is not ideal.

Note they do not say "MATCH" like you said. I told you that in my other post and you say I dont listen!

I use Bergers 52 gr match bullets in my 22-250 for coyotes and haven't had a problem killing coyotes with it most of the time the bullet doesn't even exit.

Couple of thoughts:
seems like the match, or target, bullets work well when you can get adequate velocity to make them perform ie: 17, 20, light 22, etc. Heavy weights in any caliber needs to be soft, thin, or both if you want any kind of deformation, and heavy weights are normally neither.
If you just want deformation in the tip of the bullet, try annealing it...seems to give a little more performance in 300 BLK and subsonic applications....if experimentation is your thing

Sounds like this post is about wore out. Just buy some v-max bullets and save your time and do something productive like going out and actually making some stands. You won't kill anything at the drill press.
Just sayin

Just shot a coyote about a hour and a half ago, around 120-130yds, broadside shot but he was walking, i used an AR with 52gr Match hornady bthp hit him a little back farther than i would like, but he piled up like a sack of mud. Hole in - no exit.

Last edited:
About 4 hours ago: Mini-14 53gr Sierra HP (drilled 5/64") match bullet 27gr H335 100yd sneaking coyote: pow, flopping so pow, pow, still. He didn't go 3 feet. I'm happy with it. I'll keep trying for another bullet (e.g. Speer 52gr HP) that this gun likes that opens up. I can't comment as to exact bullet performance as there was one large exit wound but I hit him at least twice.
Thanks, guys for all the input.

Last edited:
27gr of h-335??Originally Posted By: HellgateAbout 4 hours ago: Mini-14 53gr Sierra HP (drilled 5/64") match bullet 27gr H335 100yd sneaking coyote: pow, flopping so pow, pow, still. He didn't go 3 feet. I'm happy with it. I'll keep trying for another bullet (e.g. Speer 52gr HP) that this gun likes that opens up. I can't comment as to exact bullet performance as there was one large exit wound but I hit him at least twice.
Thanks, guys for all the input.

Shot one yesterday with a Hornady 52 grain bthp. The coyote was runnin straight away and just starting to quarter away when I let one fly hitting the yote just behind the ribs on his right side. It tore him up pretty bad but that had to do with shot placement. They're usually really fur friendly unless you hit bone,soft tissue (too far back) or if you just catch a piece of em. A good solid hit should just be a .22 caliber hole and nothing else.

Back