5.56 suppressor

coolbrze

Looking to get a suppressor for my 5.56 ARs. Who makes top notch cans? I've heard good things about Surefire (maybe the best?), Silencer Co., AAC, & Yankee Hill but have very little experience w/ them. I'm looking for quality, sound suppression, durability, & light weight in that order. Budget < $1,500. Thanks!

Best can is relative to your needs. I have several cans I use on the AR platform. Depending on if you want a QD or DT. I recommend a DT. Thunderbeast is one of my favorites if your looking for precision.

I would look at a Silencerco Saker 30 cal can, SAS Arbiter 30 cal can. Not much difference in suppression between a dedicated 22 centerfire can and a 30 cal can and you can always use it on your bigger rifle if the need come up.

Just picked up a Surefire myself.......can + brake + stamp= $1500.

It took a little bit of effort to mate the can to the brake the first time and when you get it really hot, make sure you have some really good gloves........which I did not have. LOL!

I had to re-zero my rifle with the can. Luckily it was just an up/down difference, so an optic with reset-able turrets is nice if you are changing back and forth.

You will get a good amount of gas escaping from the charging handle......there are a few ways to fix the issue. Some are free and some will cost you. But wearing eye protection is a must, whatever you do.

I have an old AAC m4-2000 that I've had for 6/7 years. It's been through [beeep] on on 11.5" m-16. I don't know how many round I've put through this can. If I had to do it again I would still purchase it. It's been a great can and it's still quieter that a 22lr on the 11.5 barrel.

There are probably quieter but I doubt better cans.
Jeff

Thanks guys. It's going to be a dedicated 5.56 can so won't need to mount it on anything else. What's better a QD or threaded mount? Doesn't bother me if it takes a little longer to screw it on, just want something that doesn't change POI drastically & is a good solid mounting system.

I have several of both and have never had any problems with either. If there is a big price difference or if you intend to put it on a dedicated rifle then I would probably go with the threaded, but there is something nice about only having to make only a couple turns.

Buy an SRT Hurricane Ti for $965 + tax + stamp from Doug Melton of SRT Arms. Quality, light weight, direct thread. QD is only a tiny bit faster than direct thread. POI shift is minimal. Super accurate.

That said, there are today more quality silencers in your price range than at any other time I can remember. You have many to choose from. Buying one that is right there in front of you at your dealer will save you the time to do the extra transfer from manufacturer to dealer.

This year at SHOT there were many new entrants into the silencer market as well as numerous new releases by proven companies, e.g., SilencerCo Omega (another great choice).

Sendit

Originally Posted By: fair_chase
However, direct experiences will state otherwise. Yes, there was the occasion issue with QD mounts from a few yrs ago but nothing in this this decade.

Can I ask what mount you are using?

Back