Calling in Thick Woods... Why not "stand" on stand?

Old No7

Believing there are no dumb questions...

I've started to think about abandoning hunting in and around fields or field edges, as I've just had no luck there. But as I am finding active sign in the thick woods on or along tote roads, that's where I think I should now concentrate my hunting and calling efforts.

So that prompts the question...

Why not "stand" while on stand when calling in thick woods here in the east?

I can think of a number of possible advantages including:

* Being up higher to help with visibility into the woods and low brush.

* Keeping the shotgun at port arms, and/or being able to more easily swing far left or far right as the incoming predator dictates or offers a shot.

* Without a small folding stool and padded cushion to carry, I could "run & gun" and do many more stands in a morning and move more quickly and quietly through the woods between them.

* Any other ideas or experiences you can offer?

Thanks in advance for some thoughts on this idea.

In the meantime, I just might have to try this next Saturday.

Old No7

Agree about having better visibility while standing. I've tried standing, but found I could be quieter and move less while sitting.

One thing to think about is that while you can see better being elevated, the coyotes can also see your movement better as well. I've found that unless your in an enclosed tree stand you have to be very careful of your movements even if you don't hear or see anything.

That's exactly what I do at night with a shot gun for all the reasons stated. I have a safari sling on the shot gun and it holds the gun at the ready so I can use both hands if needed mouth calling or one if using a remote. If day calling I will sit or if using a rifle I always try to sit day or night. All I hunt is the woods.

Back