East Tennessee

TennYote

So I've started into coyote hunting. Here in East Tennessee it's a little different. Any tips? We can get them howling and we see sign everywhere, but we just cant get the darn things in. I usually do a lone non threatning howl 2-3 times with space in between. Then I start on a distress. Except for a big red tail hawk swooping my MOJO I've had no luck. lol Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Same here except for I'm not even hearing them lol, I thought I heard some the other day while on stand, but my hearing is horrible, if it was coyotes they were a ridge or two away.

Move In closer to them after they howl. Kinda like spring turkey hunting. You have to get close enough to them where they feel comfortable enough to investigate. They are very curious especially this time of year. They will probably not come busting into a wide open field so get in the woods a little. And always make sure you can see to shoot down wind.

Originally Posted By: Adam4334any way to get them to close the distance? i didnt have permission to move to them. sometimes they just don't want to come in. Go back another day maybe they will be where you do have permission.

I'm also calling in East Tn. I typically find that I can get them to respond to the call right at daylight much better than any other time of day. I am still trying different sounds but lately I start with cottontail distress on half volume for about 8 minutes. Then I'll so a couple female invitation howls and end with pup in distress at 80% volume.

I don't know that I would call it a success but I'm calling in a coyote one out of every 6 sets. Last weekend I had one come charging in after only 3 minutes of baby cottontail on my Primos Alpha Dogg. Dropped it and went into pup in distress and her partner came charging in within 30 seconds.

Me and my hunting buddy has just about quit electronic calls, for now at least. It seems we have better luck to just sneak in and hit the distress call sparingly.

Back