The Grind Is Over : coyote down

Pa. Mick

The Grind Is Over : coyote down
Female 31.70 lb. 11:45 pm - 1/22/15

Went out for just a couple sets last night as i'm heading out this afternoon to try my luck for a bobcat once again. Tracks everywhere at first set but i saw the hound hunters in here in the morning. No shows.

The second set found me where i've taken a couple fox earlier in the season. I've been pounding through many empty sets. Reminds me of the years i went with seeing NOTHING. I was excited to see the tracks left behind by an army of coyotes. Holly smokes this where they have been hiding out, all of them !

I set up about 60 yards from the woods on the edge of what must be a 60+ acre hay field. Baby cottontail, eastern cottontail & platinum grey pup. All of a sudden at the 15 minute mark she comes racing by me at 15 yards ! She came from a crossed the road behind me. Looked like a race horse galloping by ! We saw each other at the same time and the afterburners kicked in. A few quick barks and she checked up at 100 yards broadside. I zoomed in on the scope and sent it. The 204 shooting the 40 gr. v-max didn't seem to phase it as she turned and took off.

I fired up pup distress and nothing ! Waiting several minutes and wanting to call it a night i gathered my gear and started tracking. Could not believe the long strides she was taking. Blood on impact at 100 paces. Didn't bleed much and found her in a thick hedge row 82 paces. Don't know if i would have found it without snow. Broadside chest shot. Back at the road i saw more tracks where more were coming, my impatience might have cost me. I left her lay there and returned this morning with the anticipation of some more action. Was a beautiful morning !

030FEF5A-6BAF-411E-9A7D-02B386775457-13357-0000292C3F284B42_zpsb764e1e5.jpg

Good for you. I think some people are not confident of their shooting and either don't check or check only slightly for a run off animal, especially deer.

Back