Staked Castle nut removal

k9jones

I have a Colt AR that has a staked castle nut. It is staked in two spots. Anybody have any suggestions on removing it so I can put on a single point sling attachment? I used my buddies AR tool (made by Wheeler), but the tool isn't the tightest fit and slipped off the nut once, so I decided to ask before I mess it up worse. Who makes the best AR wrench? Also what is the best way to anchor the lower while I remove the castle nut. I have a rubber jaw vise but fear torqueing the lower.

This nut is tight!

hate the staked nuts. i always put a good fitting wrench on it and powered through the staking. never had a nut come loose that was tightened good and tight in the first place. never saw the need for staking really. good luck.

Originally Posted By: k9jonesWho makes a good fitting wrench?

Specialized Armament

Magpul Armorers Wrench

That stamped steel thingy from Joe Bob's is a no-go!

Neither are cheap but you pay what you get for...
cool.gif

I've used the SA version for years and it's bomb proof.

6-CarbineRE_zps8fac840a.jpg

Last edited:
That SA wrench is bad to the bone.

As for the ones I posted, they work well for the hobby type builder. I've had no issues with the ones with 3 tabs. The cheaper ones with one tooth are pretty near useless. But, the one I posted I have used to break staked nuts with 2x and put a couple together. That my experience with the one I linked. But to each their own.

To the OP, go ahead and order a new nut and use the proper grease to prevent galling. Quality bearing grease works well. Nice thick viscosity. No zinc in the grease as it will cause corrosion on the aluminum.

Originally Posted By: k9jonesWho makes a good fitting wrench?

the one pahntr linked to from joe bob is the one i use. never failed me when busting through castle nut stakes.

I have seen, and had, more than one non staked castle nut come loose. I always stake mine when they go back on...the reason they staking works so well is the same reason they are so hard to get off.

Properly torqued and lubed will usually stay. Always recheck torque after a couple of mags. Similar to rechecking torque after wheels are installed on your truck.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Properly torqued and lubed will usually stay. Always recheck torque after a couple of mags. Similar to rechecking torque after wheels are installed on your truck.

Sure, but properly staked will always stay.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Properly torqued and lubed will usually stay. Always recheck torque after a couple of mags. Similar to rechecking torque after wheels are installed on your truck.

Sure, but properly staked will always stay.

Yep, for sure, however therein lies the issue for most. The proper staking. You can just go a whackin with a hammer and chisel. That's where I can see an issue. Not saying you don't know how, just an observation.

I see what you are saying. Even at that, a whack with a hammer and a chisel in the right place stands a pretty good chance of keeping stuff where it belongs.

Back