Horses shot,someone explain how this happens?

Horse eyes and coyote eyes really look a lot alike, right?? I wonder if they were shooting at coyotes with horses in the background? Either way it is stupid and bad, but I think shooting them at night by just shooting at eyes is worse!

there should b reprecusions for being that blatantly ignorant or negligent...take your choice of words but instances such as this should require a time out.........lose your license for a season or a serious fine or both because if u can shoot a horse u can shoot anything with that little knowledge, concern or common sense.....straight up IDIOTS no matter the circumstance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Big catProbably don't have permission to hunt that land any more

I am thinking you are correct...

Originally Posted By: hunterknapp16.....I wonder if they were shooting at coyotes with horses in the background?...

I'd really like to know the details about it, but this would be my guess. I know elsewhere on the forum Kizmo has talked about how the use of a white light helps us see what's beyond the coyote as well as the coyote. It is so true.

Last edited:
I'm sure they will be paying restitution . It will be a very expensive lesson. I hope many will learn from it . DON'T SHOOT EYES unless you have ID target !

Originally Posted By: Pa. Mick DON'T SHOOT EYES unless you have ID target !

Says it all. I used to deer and turkey hunt a couple roads over until my buddies inlaws sold the farm. I thought about knocking on a few doors but never have. This won't make permission any easier there or anywhere if this story gets bigger. I hoped they get slapped and slapped hard but keep it low on the media scale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeereguyAnd makes it tougher for the rest of us that have some common sense....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately, it happens more often than what news media reports on.

Back in the late '70s, our family had a similar thing happen. Only it was done in daylight, just after sunrise.
Two guys from (Kansas City or Wichita, don't recall which) were "hunting" deer during deer season.
They were hunting in one of our pastures, w/o permission.
According to what they told the sheriff, in the distance they saw what they thought to be a very large buck. And one of them fired at it.
I point out that this "buck" was nearly 1/2 mile away!!!!
Long story shortened...the "buck" actually was one of our horses. A Palomino gelding worth a few thousand dollars.
My Dad & I had made a trip to Aurora, CO just 8 months before, to attend a high-dollar auction to buy him.
To this day, because of that, Dad doesn't allow hunting on his property...even though he himself @ 75 still hunts.

Originally Posted By: ultramagYou would think a LT Sheriff's deputy CO
is trained what and what not to shoot at....Not in this situation.

I didn't see anything about either being an LEO? Where was that at?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: ultramagYou would think a LT Sheriff's deputy CO

It's the story that's circulating behind the scenes.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: ultramagYou would think a LT Sheriff's deputy CO

Glenn Gosson/Chris Smith are the two involved,not hard to find out the facts.

Its geniuses like this that are going to get night hunting banned in this state. This is all the ammunition that King Andrew needs to get the ball rolling. But they are peace officers so the law will not apply to them anyway. You guys are right you should know your target and what is beyond it. One as a tragic accident is too many. But c'mon man two horses? Just what we need. Hopefully the media does not get this high on their radar.

Call 'em in, cut 'em down.

Same basic situation happens every year during turkey season when one hunter shoots another at ranges under 50 yards - the mind makes the eyes see what they want to see, not what's really there. Lots of studies on this phenomenon.

Doesn't really matter who they are or what they do - this was a very tragic situation for all involved that could have been avoided if simply following the basic rules of firearms safety.

1. Treat every firearm as if loaded,
2. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction,
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until on target and ready to fire,
4. Know your target and what's beyond.

Back