Long range - 243 or 6.5 creedmoor

I have and shoot a .243, 6x47 lapua, and 6.5 creedmoor. All are set up for long range shooting. (bartlein barrels (medium palma contour) nightforce scopes and AICS or McMillan stocks) Here is my take. In the two 6mm calibers I shoot berger 105 hybrids and in the creedmoor I shoot 140 a-maxes. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the 6x47 because I like the lapua brass and small primer pockets. It probably shoots the best at shorter ranges (but I am splitting hairs). It will stack five bullets at 100 yards but all three will pretty much do that. The .243 has the advantage of case capacity. You can push bullets a little faster if you shoot H4350 but it will also burn the barrel out a little faster. The brass isn't as good. The advantage of the .243 is....you can shoot the sloooow powders like H-1000 and save your barrel a little. The creedmoor was the easiest to get to shoot. I have a shorter barrel on this rifle at 22 inches as I shoot it suppressed. This rifle took no load development and bucks the wind much better than the 6mm's. The factory ammo is great and most guns were set up to shoot 140's. So back to your question. You posted that you do not want custom and you want to shoot out to 1000 yds. That takes the 6x47 out. All rifles will shoot bullets out to 1000 yards. They will all hit big targets at that distance and every once in a while they will hit a smaller target at that distance. I have a .223 that shoots pretty good at that distance with 68 grain hornadys. Your question comes down to...what is pretty good. If you can find an 8 twist .243 that is a good choice. You can take the chance that a 1x9 twist will spin long bullets fast enough....or just shoot a shorter bullet. 75 grainers will reach 1000 yards...just not as good. I have a 8 inch steel plate I like to shoot at 1000 yds. That is a tough shot at 1000. (I know...there will be some guy who tells me he can hit that target every time every day regardless of wind, WITH a 3x9 bushnell) Of all three rifles the creedmoor is the easiest rifle to hit this plate. At that distance wind is your enemy. The creedmoor bucks the wind better. Most creedmoor factory rifles were set up to shoot 140 grainers therefore this would be my pic. I think the bigger question is ......What scope!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: bulknessOriginally Posted By: pahntr760 Or a 6x47 Lapua. I prefer the x47L case.
Pahntr760, I'm having a 6x47L barrel put on my short action Remington. Would you mind PM me some of you load data? Nice weapon in your signature

I currently only have the 6.5 version...but plans to build a 6X and a 22X version. Buster Hindend will be along...he has 3 of them (6x47Lapua)

Did someone say 6x47?
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: bulknessOriginally Posted By: pahntr760 Or a 6x47 Lapua. I prefer the x47L case.
Pahntr760, I'm having a 6x47L barrel put on my short action Remington. Would you mind PM me some of you load data? Nice weapon in your signature

I currently only have the 6.5 version...but plans to build a 6X and a 22X version. Buster Hindend will be along...he has 3 of them (6x47Lapua)

Did someone say 6x47?
thumbup.gif
k

Have you heard of it?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: bulknessOriginally Posted By: pahntr760 Or a 6x47 Lapua. I prefer the x47L case.

Did someone say 6x47?
thumbup.gif
k

Have you heard of it?

Only on Al Gore's interweb
I'd like to shoot one someday

Originally Posted By: wyoman I have a 8 inch steel plate I like to shoot at 1000 yds. That is a tough shot at 1000. (I know...there will be some guy who tells me he can hit that target every time every day regardless of wind, WITH a 3x9 bushnell)

I'd like to watch!

grin.gif

I have a friend that shot a PD with his 243 AI at 900+ yrds (not first shot)

But if you are looking for something like that.. A 243AI is a good rig.

Back