Rem 700 action screws torque

bkauz

I have a Rem 700 VSSF and I am going to have the trigger replaced.

this gun came with an HS precision stock from the factory.

What is the proper action screw torque when i put the stock back on?

Reading everything from 40#inch pounds to 65# ? differing opinions on aluminum bottom metal or wood vs synthetic stocks....

All my Rems shoot best between 35-40 in/lbs. They are all bedded, some have aluminum blocks, some have pillars and some have neither. I've tried up to 65 in/lbs and mine just don't do as well that high.

A friend tightens his guns with pillars or aluminum blocks down to 65 in/lbs and has good luck.

The instructions with my MDT Chassis( All Aluminum) says 65inch lbs, for Rem 700 actions.
But I've used 35-40 inch# for years with no problem on Aluminum Block HS Precision Stocks.

Last edited:
I'm at 50 in/lbs on all my rifles.

What the manual for the 700, 7 and 710 reads:
"TO ASSEMBLE MODELS WITHOUT A FLOOR PLATE:
1. Put the magazine follower and the spring into the magazine.
2. Put the stock over the receiver and trigger assembly.
3. Replace and tighten the trigger guard (stock) screws. For the Model 710™ the user must adhere to the
following torque specifications: Front screw - 55 to 60 inch pounds, Middle screw - 40 to 45 inch pounds
and Rear screw - 15 to 20 inch pounds of torque.
WARNING! Before you replace the bolt assembly, make sure the barrel is free from obstructions.
4. Replace the bolt assembly. See instructions on pages 8 and 9.
TO ASSEMBLE MODELS WITH A FLOOR PLATE ONLY:
Put the magazine all the way into the bottom of the receiver.
MODELS WITH FLOOR PLATE OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE:
1. Assemble the trigger guard assembly on the stock (Model 700™ only).
2. Put the stock over the receiver and trigger assembly.
3. Replace and tighten the trigger guard (stock) screws. For the Model 710 the user must adhere to the
following torque specifications: Front screw - 55 to 60 inch pounds, Middle screw - 40 to 45 inch pounds
and Rear screw - 15 to 20 inch pounds of torque.
4. Close the floor plate or replace detachable magazine.

Gunwerks advise 70-80 inch pounds on the HS alum block stocks after bedding the recoil lug. I followed their YouTube instruction video and my m700 7saum sendero groups are more consistent and smaller.

The rifle will tell you what it likes. I just proved this to a friend a couple days ago. Take your rifle, loads, and a inch pound wrench to the bench. I left the back screw alone at 20 lbs. Went in 10 lb. increments from 20 to 60 lbs. on the front screw. Group got progressively tighter until I hit the 40 lb. mark, and then started going south again.

Last edited:
Back