Fox and coyote question

Ky Col

The other day I went to a farm I haven't hunted in a year and I set up my coyote decoy along with my Shockwave. Last year I got one coyote and was hoping for more. I went though the Female submissive calls and saw several foxes running from the cut corn field to the woodline. I never ever knew we had foxes there.

Does anybody think the coyotes might not be there since I have never seen them both on the same property before. Also next time I'm thinking about leaving the decoy in the truck and just start using the fox calls. Would that bring in both if either was out there? What should I do?

I find that areas with coyotes have fewer foxes. We used to have a lot of reds on our farm. Three years ago we saw our first coyote and now we have almost zero foxes.

Coyote vocalizations scare foxes away, and I don't think I've ever called in a fox with fox distress sounds either, not saying they won't but I've never done it.

Lastly, out if habit I've barked to get a couple of foxes to stop and both took off like scolded dogs. Foxes around these parts live in fear of coyotes.

Same around here.....where you have fox, there are no coyotes.....and where you have coyotes....I never call in a fox. It may just be me.
I dont think you can use words like "never"...because with wildlife, you just never know. But around here, the fox came into the residential neighborhoods.....and thrive....Our town is an small town of houses, businesses and trees...with row crop around us in every direction....
The fox seem to move into town....and let the coyotes have the row crop land.....they dont seem to like each other....I guess they are competing for the same food...

Originally Posted By: jf1073were you using a "coyote" decoy or something like a critter, etc?
Coyote decoy with a stuffed dog toy in his mouth.

I bought one on clearance from Cabelas. Out of the box I thought it looked terrible, but surprisingly from about 50 yards out in the field it doesn't look to bad. Only tried it on one dry stand thus far.

Back