Owl took my topper

plumbob

And ate the dang thing. Swooped in and grabbed the topper off my Foxjack and he flew up in a tree. Pretty sure he ate it, cause he wouldn't leave the area and I looked for it. Actually I walked over and he flew back and landed beside my FX3. Let me get about 15 foot away from. New topper only $5, but shipping is $6....just my luck...

Had this happen to me a couple years ago. He came across a picked bean field about 3 feet off the ground and snatched the topper. He landed right beside it and commenced to squeezing it over and over with those claws. It was cool to watch until he flew off with it.

I had a redtail hawk attack my mojo critter one day. He looked quite pissed as he sat beside it. I couldn't quit laughing and had to end that stand.

Pretty good movie for $11.00!
smile.gif
I've had owls and hawks swoop down hard on my decoy before and always thought it was pretty cool to see. What I don't like is when I'm hand calling and they make a pass at my camo gloved hands working the call. I had a big red tail brush the side of my head from an angle behind me as he flared off when he suddenly and almost too late realized his mistake. That's too close!

I had a great horned owl land on my left leg while calling! Scared the crap out of me and the owl also when he realized what he had done.

Last stand I did sit and watched an owl, 1st one I have ever called in, did have my decoy set up since. I lost a stake and didn't realized in till we were at the stand. I watched it look at the caller fr as good 5 min. The caller was turned off when I turned back on it jump clear out of its feathers and hit the sky.

I had a owl one time hit my call so hard it has claw marks in the plastic, but never had one steal my topper from me, until yesterday...

The first time I put out my E caller was on my front porch one night. I was looking out from the picture window inside the house working the caller. This owl landed right on the boxwood bush that sits about 3 ft off the ground right in front of my porch about 4ft away from my window. Scared me when he flew into view all of a sudden. They have a pretty big wing span. I was actually trying to see if any of the neighbor hood cats would come to the call of a mouse squeak. The owl beat them to the caller. He stuck around for about 10 minutes after his first pass. I knew we have a couple of owls in the area but didn't think about them coming to the caller. I was looking out the window for a cat coming off from the distance and this owl appeared out of no where suddenly. He seemed to fill up the entire window. Made my heart skip a few beats.

I wish I had a small remote controlled car that I could cover with some fur and make it move across the yard. I'd have some fun with the cats dogs and other critters in the yard.

Had a huge golden eagle swoop down right over my head almost taking my cap off. It was looking for the Baybee Cottontail that was in distress! Scared the crap out of me!

Plumbob you might check the toy department at wally world, some time back in another one of these threads, someone had picked up a stuffed toy at Walmart for $3-$4 bucks, cut the tail off, and tied it to his critter-gitter. Said it worked just as effectively, for a third the price.

I hate owls seems like every weekend one comes into the call. and at night when the call isnt very far from me is even worse. seems like the like the baby cottontail sounds the best so I deleting all of them from my call haha stupid owls.

I lost my topper the other day, so I zip tied a squirrel tail on. Shot a coyote 10 yards away fascinated by the squirrel tail Monday night.

I had a hawk come take the top off my critter a few weeks ago. I cut the corner out of an old wash cloth and cut some slits in it, then used a zip tie to put it on. Works great and was free.

This last friday nite a owl came and took the whole unit. It was funny watching the unit fly pass me at about 20'. Went back the next day and didn't find anything. I have it sitting on a tri- pod with a 3/4 socket for to to sit in. At least I have the tri-pod. $39.95 later I have a new to try again.

I had one come in wanting my mojo but didn't quite dare to come down off the limb. He sat there staring for about 20min. Didn't even phase it when I changed sounds.

Back