leupold vx-r patrol 3-9 or Vortex PST 2.5-10x44

bulldogto

Has anyone compared these two scopes? I'm looking at one or the other for my 700 in .223. Purpose of this rifle will be coyotes and paper. I'm mainly looking for quality of glass, especially in lower light.

Last edited:
I was able to look at both of these scopes through the window out into the darkness at Scheels not too long ago. They both had good glass and seemed like they would do the trick. However, the Leupold would get my vote due to their excellent, long-standing reputation.

I have no experience with the Vortex the I have been impressed with the glass with my VXR 3-9X40. The field of view is advertised as 33' at 100 yrds on 3 power which seems about right. I also like the fact that firedot reticle turns itself off after 10 min of no movement.

Last edited:
I've owned both of those optics. The one thing I did not like about the leupold was the reticle is super thick. The firedot is cool but I just could never get over how thick the reticle was. The PST 2.5-10x44 is decent overall but glass quality is very mediocre. The 2.5-10x32 FFP on the other hand blows them both out of the water. It may be a bit more than what you want to spend but it really is worth it.

I had no idea of the low field of view on the VXRs. I was really shopping them too. I have a viper hs 4-16x44 off my 22-250 that is now on my AR. I want to trade it or replace it for something with lower magnification. The only crappy thing is even if it's at low power (4x) I still see as much or more with my viper. Is the glass the same on both sfp PSTs and HS models? 2.5-10 sounds like the ticket but I don't know if I want the moa/mil dot reticle. Needs to be a PST with the vxr red dot.

Haven't looked through a PST but did a lot of research on scopes over the last couple months. Bought a 3-9x40 VX-R TMR w/ IR & couldn't be happier. Awesome scope!!!

Originally Posted By: Captramrod01 I've owned both of those optics. The one thing I did not like about the leupold was the reticle is super thick. The firedot is cool but I just could never get over how thick the reticle was. The PST 2.5-10x44 is decent overall but glass quality is very mediocre. The 2.5-10x32 FFP on the other hand blows them both out of the water. It may be a bit more than what you want to spend but it really is worth it.

Absolutely true..I have this optic and I love everything about it. Its on my go too coyote rifle. Its got very clear crisp glass.

Back