First cabled grey for my daughter and myself!

hunterknapp16

I took my now 8yr old daughter to get her CR certification in July this year. It was a great experience for all of us, and the club does an amazing job. They have a youth outdoor day after the class in which they give away traps to all youths in attendance (a dozen) and door prizes to all that are there.

I have caught K9's in cables, but never a grey. I can't bring myself to setting a 6" loop 6" up in an area full of yotes, and cats in the beginning of the CR season. This leaves out the grey fox for me usually. This is a spot that we put a deer carcass and I made quad trails up and down the golden rod just down the road from my house. I took her up there and let her pick the spot and everything. Only problem is the animals picked the carcass clean in the couple of days it was there before season. lol. She picked three spots. One on a deer trail and one on each quad tire track. I pounded the anchors in and set the wire. She hooked them on the wire and did the loop size and I helped her adjust it for height. She wanted to go for coyote or reds so we did a 9" loop 8" up. It has worked in the past even though it isn't the exact recommended height. There have been tracks everywhere around all CR season there, but only one (a cat about a month ago) used the quad tracks. There are hundreds of deer trail through it, so it is impossible to set every route. I knew if we were patient it would happen. lol.

Here is the cat tracks. Only thing I can figure is it went around the loop to the left.

fisher%20188_zpsbjdv4ypg.jpg

After that I adjusted it to the left a touch.

Well about a month later I walked up to this. Finally!! I ran right home to pick her up so she could see what she had finally caught.

015_zps1fnb6dhq.jpg

The two of them jumped in (PJ's and all) and I headed down. I didn't tell them what we had. She was excited to see a grey!! She was hoping for a bobcat, but I definitely wasn't!! They are bad enough in a trap to release, let alone a cable!! This one might get tanned. She kept saying how beautiful it was. I told her I wanted to let it go so I could call it in!! lol. She wasn't for it!! I got a giant 15lb 2oz male just about 100yds away from here the other night. This one was almost as big of a male.

Here they are smiling with her catch.

019_zpsf9tkechf.jpg

Unbelievably to me it was caught in the mouth to behind the ears. I couldn't believe that a half inch would make it open its mouth instead of duck or pick its head up a bit.

Back