Surgery Tuesday...

pahntr760

Tuesday morning, I will finally be getting the surgery I need to get my hip fixed. I am having femoralplasty and Labral repairs

It's goin to be a long road to recovery, but this procedure is said to prevent the need for hip replacements later down the road.

First question is, has anyone had this type of procedure done? What is a realistic timeline to be actively mobile? I plan to camo my crutches...I can't miss out on coyote hunting. I know I will not be going far from the vehicle, but I will be out calling after I feel a bit better.

Another...has anyone tried the Mobilegs Ultra crutches? They rotate and articulate for the proper alignment. They also have suspension like underarm pads that are said to be much more comfortable. The insurance will provide standard crutches, so these would have to be a personal investment. But, with the possibility of 12 weeks of crutches, I think they'd be worth it.

Anyways...I'll let you all know as to the progress and such as I go along.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00572

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19096902

http://www.amazon.com/Mobi-U1-Mobilegs-Ultra/dp/B005I5OP6M

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I'm not to worried about the procedure. My surgeon has done this a bunch. Just don't know how I will go from 75-80 hrs/week working to nothing for 6+ weeks. But...it should be great once recovery is done. I'm tired of the chronic pain.

You will do fine Shane...my coworker just had both knees done at the same time and was back to work in 6 weeks...

I have my left thumb fused on March 13th and doc said I should be back to hunting in 2 to 3 weeks if I am careful. I will still have a cast on but I will still be able to hold a rifle...:)

Good luck... Watch what you say to the nurses while under the influence!
smile.gif

I came through the surgery well. The only issue was a relation to the anesthesia and nausea from that. I ended up staying the night because of it. There was a bunch more damage than the MRI showed, so I was out for about 6 hrs. But I am on the road to recovery now. Lots of stiffness, not too bad as far as pain. Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers.

Glad you made it through ok Shane. Just keep the pain pills close just in case. . When I had my knee surgery, I felt the same as you. But once the juice wore off.. Ouch! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Glad you made it through ok Shane. Just keep the pain pills close just in case. . When I had my knee surgery, I felt the same as you. But once the juice wore off.. Ouch! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

That's what I am concerner about. The Oxy is working well, but we will see long term. The hip itself feels tremendously better. Just feel the pain of the surgery now. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. But I am off work for a while, said plenty of time to chill and let it mend.

I missed it as well..Glad the dangerous part is over for you...The pain from the surgery will go away,,,The important thing is to let the body heal at it's own pace before getting too rambunctious...Stick with the rehab program, as proper exercise will speed healing...

Thanks folks. I am feeling great so far. Some muscle fatigue and soreness, but overall quite well. I keep moving, be it ankle pumps, leg flexes or just crutching around. Just making sure nothing gets seized up from not getting used. I saw the PT yesterday and she gave me some light exercises to do. It's gonna be a long road, but should be worth it in the long run.

Rehab is going well. I feel so much better than I had expected. I am still keeping it on easy street as I don't want to overdo it and go backwards. I'm cutting back on the Oxy and just keeping it level. Lots of ice, rest and hydration.

We went to the grocery today. I used the go-cart thing instead of crutching. But I do keep active and doing my prescribed exercises. All feels well...

Thanks again for the well wishes and thoughts, folks.

Back