Build a custom 700 or buy a Kimber?????

msinc

Every year I build myself a new gun. This year I have been kicking around the idea of a bolt gun in 223 with a sporter weight barrel, kind of a "walk about" or mountain rifle. I was going to just order a barrel and stock and barrel up one of my 700 actions I am not really using right now. But then I saw a Kimber Montana and a Custom Select in 223. I do like controlled round feed, but I also like having a really good barrel and the very fast lock time of the 700. Plus the satisfaction of building it myself. The Kimber dilemma is that I have this vision of a stainless rifle and a beautiful walnut stock so I would have to buy the Montana and a stock. What do you guys think?????

I'm only in the process of ordering parts for my first build, but the way i see it if you rebarrel the 700 you get to set it up exactly the way you want it.

When looking for a light weight custom Predator rifle in 17 rem. a few years ago I found it cheaper to buy a new Kimber Montana, install a Lilja #1 rifle using the same contour as Kimbers chambered for the 17 Rem. The biggest aftermarket part cost was the Carbon Fiber stock which the Montana's come with. They have one of the best if not the best factory trigger going. Nice controlled feeding and a very squared (trued) action. Also, Richards Microfit makes walnut stocks for the Kimber 84M's.
I saved myself close to $800.00 going with the Kimber vs customizing a Model 7 Rem.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

and accuracy is not a problem with the light barrel either.....
Kimber204.jpg

I should also add that the Kimber Montana in 204 I own needs zero customizing, plus the 2 7mm08's, a Classic and a Classic Select shoot as well as I can. Neither one of them make it to 7lbs ready to hunt.
I'm not really trying to convince you to go Kimber rather than Remington, more like, here's my experience going the Kimber route.
A Classic Select stainless in 223 is going to run around $1100.00 and they use a French/English walnut stock. At the most you may have to skim bed the action and lighten the trigger pull some.

Just some Kimber ideas for you.

Thanks for the replies so far. I agree the 700 has many aftermarket options. I also agree with the 700 because I like Pac-Nor barrels and can get one with polygonal rifling, although in honesty Pac-Nor's idea of polygonal rifling and the rest of the worlds seems to be different. Last one I got was a 7mm and it looked like just radiused rifling {5R} but on both sides of the land {unlike 5R.} It sure did shoot great though.
Who is making Kimber's barrels these days, anyone out there know??? Last I heard it was Douglas. Then I heard Lilja but that wasn't confirmed. Looks like they shoot great whoever it is. Thanks for posting the informative thread. I don't think Kimber offers the custom select in a stainless version, at least not in 223. It doesn't appear in their catalog anyways. From what I ca see the classic select has an msrp of $1425 and the cheapest I can get one for is around $1300. I don't really care about the money if the rifle works and shoots good. Glad to know Richard's MF makes the stock. Thanks again.

I did some checking and the Classic Select does come in a stainless model, but only in 243, 7mm08m, and 308. Guess that wouldn't work. I did buy a gently used Classic Select in 7mm08 for $850 shipped recently that I'm going to be restocking in English Walnut.

newkimber2_zpse4de444d.jpg

I've seen 2 used Kimber Montana's in 223 recently sell for $1000 shipped. Those would make a good start.
I don't know who makes Kimbers barrels. I had thought that Kimber made their own, but I could be wrong.

Good luck in your lightweight custom quest.

Thanks again. Yep, I think the 223 must be pretty new to the classic select. I think I might have been calling it the custom classic before but it looks like you knew what I meant. The LGS actually called to check on availability for the blue 223 and the distributor said he has had two of them on back order.

Back